vignetting on Ultra 16

Daniel Carruthers

Hi The lens Ive been using on my new Ultra16mm camera has been vignetting

the lens is a 12-120mm Angeniux zoom lens

it seems to vignette on anything wider than 30mm and only when Im focused at 7feet or closer.

My question is, is there a way to fix that somehow?

when ever I use my c-mount primes they seem to work fine with no vignetting

and even with a 10mm prime there is no vignetting, but how come on the Angeniux?

any ideas?

Hi The lens Ive been using on my new Ultra16mm camera has been vignetting

the lens is a 12-120mm Angeniux zoom lens

it seems to vignette on anything wider than 30mm and only when Im focused at 7feet or closer.

My question is, is there a way to fix that somehow?

when ever I use my c-mount primes they seem to work fine with no vignetting

and even with a 10mm prime there is no vignetting, but how come on the Angeniux?

any ideas?

Hi Daniel,

The image forming circle of the Angenieux 12-120mm is notoriously small and barely covers the regular 16mm format. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do.

If you want an inexpensive zoom that covers the whole frame, you can try the Angenieux 15-150mm.

Canon makes a 15-150 and it also has plenty of coverage. Generally primes have more coverage than zooms.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

This is really good to know! Was under the impression that an Ultra 16mm conversion would work with the exact same lenses as regular 16mm.

A 15-150 (covers S16) is a good option, however, it is a very large and heavy lens. You may want to try the 10-150 instead, as it is wider, almost as fast, but smaller and should cover U16 properly (it covers S16 at 10mm focusing above 20').

A 15-150 (covers S16) is a good option, however, it is a very large and heavy lens. You may want to try the 10-150 instead, as it is wider, almost as fast, but smaller and should cover U16 properly (it covers S16 at 10mm focusing above 20').

While the 10-150 may be shorter in length than a 15-150, it is a heavier lens than the 15-150mm or the 12-120, both of which weigh about the same.

As far is coverage is concerned, it should be mentioned that the 10-150 actually exhibits increased vignetting when zooming from 10 to 50mm at close to medium distances. Because of all these limitations, I don't find the 10-150 is a practical lens for super 16 or ultra 16.

The 15-150 will cover super 16 at all focal lengths, focusing distances and aperture settings.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

I think this issue is with this particular lens

Ultra typically allows for all standard 16 lenses. Super covers about 20% more real estate, so needs very specific lenses to cover said real estate.

btw, Luke, shot 6 rolls on the Scoopic Ultra last week and it's getting processed/transferred next week. I'll keep ya in the loop. Did some sound sync tests as well and it runs quiet enough.

Adam.

btw, Luke, shot 6 rolls on the Scoopic Ultra last week and it's getting processed/transferred next week. I'll keep ya in the loop. Did some sound sync tests as well and it runs quiet enough.

Please do, Adam. I'd love to see it.

Edited by Luke Hill

While the 10-150 may be shorter in length than a 15-150, it is a heavier lens than the 15-150mm or the 12-120, both of which weigh about the same.

As far is coverage is concerned, it should be mentioned that the 10-150 actually exhibits increased vignetting when zooming from 10 to 50mm at close to medium distances. Because of all these limitations, I don't find the 10-150 is a practical lens for super 16 or ultra 16.

The 15-150 will cover super 16 at all focal lengths, focusing distances and aperture settings.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

We must be talking about different lenses, or perhaps they differ from lens to lens. I own a 10-150 T2.2 and a 15-150 T2.1. The 15-150 is much heavier and longer than the 10-150. The 10-150 does vignette in the medium range, but I have found mostly between the minimal focus mark and about 20'. Between 20' and infinity it seems to be OK.

Another good choice for U16 are latter 17-68 T2.2 Angenieux, which covers S16 in the entire range, but are not very wide at all.

• 3 months later...