Frameforge

• Premium Member
Has anyone used FRAMEFORGE ?

Is it easy to use? I like the idea but don't have the time/ energy to learn an entire new program....

Any insights will be most appreciated!

I like it. I had to make a custom format and lensing for techniscope. Everything else was trouble free. I get as much communicated to crew with photocopies of stick figures in rectangles as I can with Frameforge sheets. Go figure.

• Premium Member
Has anyone used FRAMEFORGE ?

Is it easy to use? I like the idea but don't have the time/ energy to learn an entire new program....

Any insights will be most appreciated!

I have it and have been using it for the last 2 or so years.

It's great at what you want it to do...

I often use it for VFX shoots, MoCo etc and anytime a set has to be built. I can punch in the exact dimensions and get very accurate rendering of what will and won't be seen. I had to shoot a mattress TVC a few weeks ago, and had to work out if the studio we were using would be big enough to accommodate the shot we wanted. We had to have a shot looking down on the mattress from overhead of a guy falling backwards onto the mattress. I was able to work out exactly how high the camera needed to be on an 18mm lens. Shooting RED so when the director wanted 50 frames, i again was able to work out the extra height required to make it work for RED @ 3K as well.

BUT it's far from being intuitive. In fact it can be a bit frustrating to use. the thing is, you're basically doing 3D modelling and if you've ever tried to do anything in MAYA then you'll know just how *simple* frameforge is to use. For example, i had to *make* my mattress for the above example because the stock mattress in the 3 D library wasn't the right size.....

SO yeah big thumbs up, but don't expect it to be super easy, especially if you want to do something that doesn't exit amongst the stock preset poses for the actors or items in the library.

Everytime I use it though, everyone gets impressed...

jb