Best Keyboard and Music Software?

BeltFedLeadHead

I am on a budget of under 1000 dollars for both, so I'm aiming to keep it in that ballpark.

That's not gonna take you very far. Korg Triton is considered THE keyboard to have. As far as music editing software: Steinberg Cubase VST Score, is top notch.

That's not gonna take you very far.  Korg Triton is considered THE keyboard to have.  As far as music editing software: Steinberg Cubase VST Score, is top notch.

Triton has a rather bad piano samples. But it has killer strings, good for movie scores.

Kurzweil k2x00 has the best piano's around, and is considered to be the best workstation today (and it's like 4500 dollars or so)

Well, it depends on if you're running a Mac or PC, for one. I like Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase is good too...there are a few ways to go with this. As far as keyboards go, if you go to www.sonicstate.com and click on the "Synth Site" you can look up different keyboards and synths by type and brand, so that might be helpful. Also, never underestimate the power of MIDI!

Triton has a rather bad piano samples.

For professional music production, I'd imagine one would ditch the pre-loaded samples and opt for something far better, like going through GigaSampler and using their incredible GigaPiano. Internal keyboard samples are never going to sound that great since there is limited memory to work with. With software sample packages, on the other hand, one instrument can span over several gigabytes of data.

Guest Sean McVeigh

If you only need the keyboard for an input device, you can find decent ones sub-$200. (I bought a Fatar SL-161 off ebay for $150 or so last year). I'd recommend synth-weighted keys as the piano-weighted models tend to be really heavy and need beefy stands.

Spend the remaining cash on a good sampler / sequencer setup.

Any of the software suggestions above are good ones.

Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Cubase, Sonar, Logic.. take your pick.

I like some of the piano samples in Reason. Although, from what I usually hear, Tascam Gigasampler (gigastudeio?) is "the" sampler to own. Atmosphere is pretty neat too.

Check around for some audio-related forums... lots of useful opinions out there.

-Sean

Edited by Sean McVeigh

I have an Alesis QS-8 that I'm really happy with.

Got that and the Classical expansion card, and it's very nice.

Weighted keys, fantastic stereo grand piano sound.

The QS-6 is the same unit, but with a standard non-weighted keyboard.

You could probably get one for somewhere around that price, although I haven't priced one in quite a while.

Matt Pacini

Most film and TV composers I know use Digital Performer. The Mach 5 is the MOTU sampler and matches well with it (it's every bit as good as the gigasampler). I had a minor in film composing (for the film history buffs - David Raksin was actually my primary teacher) - and while I had no programs back then, in recent occasional compositions I've been using Logic Pro with it's built in exs24. Logic requires some deep breaths and perseverance but "everyone" raves about it once you can actually use it.... think about it like having to load and process film verses throwing in a tape.

ProTools is one of my favorite apps though - the midi isn't as intense as Logic or DP - however without the "dv tool kit" you don't get time code - which sucks for composing sometimes... though if you do it classically bars/beats - it's not the worst thing because you can use a digitial picture for synch. I also should mention that Garage Band which is free is a great great little application that I'm continually impressed with - but i don't know if you can do digital picture and it has no time code bar - it's a simple little app.

So! To sum up - the majority of composers probably use DP, Logic is a quickly growing favorite. On the PC side, cubase is the choice. On either platform you might gander protools as well to make sure you have your bases covered. I looked around a lot and tried everying (including nuendo) and settled on Logic because it has incredibly powerful tools for sampling and effects built in - and it uses the native processing power incredibly well such that you don't need external gear. Someday if Apple user friendlies the interface it will own that market... until then it's a learning curve.

Have fun!

• 6 months later...

Get any MIDI input device, a strictly MIDI board will cost about $300.00. Then I would check out the Gary Garritan sample libraries...they are amazing. As far as usuing a keyboard for composing, don't, but if you do, get a Yamaha MOTIF, in my opinion, it has the best samples as far as quality goes. If you get a samper program, like the Garritan, for example, you have so much control over what you do (number of orchestra players, bowing up or down, articulations, etc.) and the samples are so accurate, you can get very close to an actual orchestra.