• Premium Member

It's one of my favorite stocks because it's versitile. I normally shot 7217 as opposed to 5217, but for S16mm it's fast enough for available lighting situations and slow enough (with an 85, though i prefer an 81ef) for daylight shooting. It's tighter grained than the '18 was, though similar (and perhaps grainier) in structure to the new '19 stock. It's colors are very nice with good skintone reproduction. I don't generally like how the '17, or Kodak in general, responds to lower CRI florescent lights, i feel the green is too green-yellow as opposed to a purer green I've experienced on Fuji Eterna 500.

I normally rate the stock at 200, though a 160 or 125 rating could also be in order, and when pushing the stock I rate at 320 for a 1 stop push. While this increases grain, of course, i feel it's on par with your average 500T stock @ 500.

All in all a very nice stock from Kodak, though I wish it was just slightly punchier sometimes.

I cannot attest to the level of detail Adrian has (and he has much more experience and expertise than I), but when, a few days ago, I tested the 7217, I found it to be much more grainer than I had expected (especially in the blacks). Honestly, I was surprised by this, given it's a slow stock.