Storm Blue filters

Hey!

I am shooting an experimental student film next month and I want to achieve a blue semi-desaturated look for my interior. Can anyone recommend any filters, I checked out Storm blue filters and thought it would be good in conjunction with 7219 but I am worried about one factor. My film has no red in it, and I want to stray away from orange lighting, i want soft, cold lighting.

Any recommendations will be great

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hey!

I am shooting an experimental student film next month and I want to achieve a blue semi-desaturated look for my interior. Can anyone recommend any filters, I checked out Storm blue filters and thought it would be good in conjunction with 7219 but I am worried about one factor. My film has no red in it, and I want to stray away from orange lighting, i want soft, cold lighting.

Thanks

If you are shooting daytime interiors, a tungsten stock like '19 without any correction filter should be blue enough for you.

In tungsten lighting with no mixed daylight sources, all blue filters & gels suck a lot of exposure... but you can either add 1/2 blue gel to the lights or a 1/2 blue filter for a cold effect, then if necessary, time more blue in post.

I have used some filters thru www.camerafilters.co.uk made my Harrison called Blue/Grey...they come in a graduated set of 5 or 6 (don't really remember).

I shoot tungsten balanced stock without correct and used a little CTB on my HMI's.

the result is on my site....under recent work...it's all the Manpower spots towards the bottom of the page.

I used at least one of the filters in camera and tweaked in post. As you can see, they all have a desaturated look, but there still is a lot of room to play in telecine.

I posted a still here from one of the spots....I vaguely remember using one of the lightest filters on this and added 1/8 CTB to my HMI backlight It was cloudy out and the color temperature was up near 6500-7000 Kelvin. if you can get your hands on some filters...it's easy to test nowadays with your trusty DSLR.

Eric Halberstadt

www.spitfirefilms.com

post-20721-1267545911.jpg

Hey!

Thanks

Thanks so much!

The website says it is under construction though :(

Another filter question:

I also have a montage scene in which I want a very olden feel, i know tobacco filters and antique suede filters work well for this but i also want to have soft blown out highlights. I am interested in blowing out highlights.

Can you recommend any filters to check out.

I also have the option of shooting the montage on a Bolex so i can play around with the shutter angle, but then how would i create that olden style feel without 4x4 filters?

Cheers

• Premium Member
I also have a montage scene in which I want a very olden feel, i know tobacco filters and antique suede filters work well for this but i also want to have soft blown out highlights. I am interested in blowing out highlights.

Can you recommend any filters to check out.

ProMist filters are probably the easiest thing to find for that sort of diffusion effect.

my website is under construction?

can't be.

www.spitfirefilms.com

or

www.erichalberstadt.com

Thanks so much!

The website says it is under construction though :(