Stereographer vs Cinematographer

Tyler Leisher

Just curious what you all think of this... will the Stereographer and Cinematographer always be different jobs? I haven't done much work in 3D, but I keep hearing the word and how important Stereographers are becoming.

Is it something that on the day, the Stereographer is going to be handling something else while the cinematographer is handling the lighting and setups?

Or do you think any good Cinematographer is going to have to learn about stereography

Just curious what you all think of this... will the Stereographer and Cinematographer always be different jobs? I haven't done much work in 3D, but I keep hearing the word and how important Stereographers are becoming.

Is it something that on the day, the Stereographer is going to be handling something else while the cinematographer is handling the lighting and setups?

Or do you think any good Cinematographer is going to have to learn about stereography

In my opinion, a good Cinematographer should know as much about stereo photography as they can if they are shooting stereoscopic 3D. The more knowledge the DP has, the better they can use the tools at hand to help tell the story. I see the role of a Stereographer much like that of a Camera Assistant. They should be there for technical support in terms of the equipment relating to stereo (working with the rig, adjusting interaxial and convergence, etc), as well as have a good working knowledge of stereo theory and practice (if a certain effect is required, they should know how to achieve it), just like the AC should have a good working knowledge of filmmaking elements relating to the camera being used. Again, I believe a good DP should know the gear and theory behind the medium he or she is working with, as well as understand how it works in order to best utilize the technology in terms of storytelling. Of course, filmmaking is collaborative, and all positions should bring as much as they can to a project so everyone can work together and create nice images.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the board, and just registered to post a reply to this thread. Here's an article that deals specifically with what a Stereographer does, how his/her job is as important to a 3D movie as the other 'Director' level profiles are, even if there is no claim for opening screen credits.

Would like to hear your comments on it as well: http://realvision.ae/blog/2010/08/the-6-job-functions-of-a-good-stereographer-in-modern-3d-movies/

Kind Regards,

Clyde

• Premium Member

Here's the critical difference.

The cinematographer is in charge of measures directed at making the pictures look nice, appropriate, and consistent, and that the audience will enjoy.

The stereographer is in charge of measures directed at making the producer understand where his money has gone, and that will give the audience a pronounced squint.

P