Super-8 Film Festivals...

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

Rutgers Super-8 Film Festival

This annual festival's deadline has passed however the actual winning entries will be screened around February 20th, 2005. The festival allows entries shot in digital-8, mini-dv or Super-8 (and perhaps 16mm as well). The final videos are shown via digital projection from either DVD or VHS source tapes.

Do you know of an upcoming Super-8 film festival?

• Premium Member
Film original, undeveloped.  It's a real challenge, using in-camera editing.

I made a film like that two years ago for Flicker LA. It took me 10 nights of filming and I used a digital frame counter to keep in sync with a song that I had broken down to the millisecond.

I would NEVER run the film through a projector, the sound of the projector alone makes me think of the music theme from jaws. :ph34r:

(this parenthesis has been added after Rik's post below was made, I'm concerned about having my film original run through a projector because of the imminent abrasions that will result)

The Super 8 Circus is projecting super 8 film prints along with a live band (so you won't hear the projector) and it is by invitation/lottery only (entry deadline long gone). But the U of T Film Fest deadline is Friday Feb 4 so there is still time. Entries can originate on any format. Most projection will likely be video, but we have facilities to project 16 and 35. (The Super 8 Circus is part of the U of T film fest.)

Here is the official call for entries:

HART HOUSE THEATRE AND THE HART HOUSE FILM BOARD PRESENT

The 4TH ANNUAL U OF T FILM & VIDEO FESTIVAL

BRINGING THE WORLD TO U OF T

SHOWING U OF T TO THE WORLD

CALL FOR FILM & VIDEO SUBMISSIONS

The 4th Annual U of T Film & Video Festival (March 18th - March 24th) is now accepting submissions from film and video-makers. All length and genres will be considered.

DEADLINE is February 4, 2005, at 5:00 pm.

ENTRY FEE: $10 CDN. Please make cheque payable to Hart House Theatre?

Entry fee waived for University of Toronto students, staff, alumni and Hart

House Senior Members.

For more information, rules and submission forms go to www.harthousetheatre.ca

and click on the 2004/2005 Festival Season Link or contact us at

uoftfilmfest@harthousetheatre.ca

Get your entries in,

Rick

• Premium Member
Rutgers Super-8 Film Festival

This annual festival's deadline has passed however the actual winning entries will be screened around February 20th, 2005.  The festival allows entries shot in digital-8, mini-dv or Super-8 (and perhaps 16mm as well).  The final videos are shown via digital projection from either DVD or VHS source tapes.

Do you know of an upcoming Super-8 film festival?

The winners have been announced and they are on the link now. Unfortunately when one adds up the 16mm and digital video entries and the length of some of the longer films I don't see that many Super-8 films. Nothing wrong with that IF the festival didn't call itself a Super-8 film festival. One good quality 80 minute 16mm film or digital video can knock out 10 short films, and I think that is what has happened this year. From what I can tell they only selected 20 films to screen over three days, that's at least ten less than in previous years.

The Rutgers Super-8 Film and Video Festival has evolved into a film/video festival like any other film/video festival now, it might be time for a name change since it's really no longer a Super-8 festival.

Too bad there's nobody left in the United States to step up and just have a good old fashioned Super-8 film festival that offers prizes. My belief is that most festivals are driven by technological advances so the sponsors tend to be new product developers, or products that directly relate to the media that is having the film festival.

All that's left for a real super-8 film festival is Kodak, Pro-8mm, Yale, etc... and other than Kodak it's too much too ask other companies to pitch in.

At www.onsuper8.org we are attempting to list current Super 8 and small gauge film festivals as part of our permanent repository of eveything for "little film". As ever if anyone knows of other festivals worldwide, please e-mail us and we'll include them.

Regards,

Giles

www.onsuper8.org

Super 8 is forty in 2005, what will you be doing to celebrate?

At www.onsuper8.org we are attempting to list current Super 8 and small gauge film festivals as part of our permanent repository of eveything for "little film". As ever if anyone knows of other festivals worldwide, please e-mail us and we'll include them.

Regards,

Giles

www.onsuper8.org

Super 8 is forty in 2005, what will you be doing to celebrate?

Do I know you from somewhere?

You seem familiar.

:ph34r:

Edited by Angel Dragon