Interiors on "Boardwalk Empire"

Benjamin Rowland

I'm really blown away by the quality of the cinematography on Boardwalk Empire on HBO.

One quick question about the look...

On select daytime interiors they make it look as though the scene is only lit by sunlight coming in through the windows. Any guesses on how they are achieving such natural looking fill light for these scenes? I'd assume they're using HMI's through the windows as key with some sort of bounce or really soft source as fill.

How are they achieving this natural fill light?

Hey Ben, (if i can call you that : P )

I've not got an answer or much of an opinion on you question, theres nothing in the issue of AC Magazine that had any relevant information on it.

But in terms of the actual show, I'm waiting for the DVD and treating myself when its released over here, Is it as good as i'm expecting?

There have been times where I've been so close to downloading it (which is fine as I plan to buy it anyway).

I LOVE Buschemi!!! and the fact that Scorcese is co-producing it is so exciting. It looks beautifully shot, i just hope the content is as good.

Tom.

Tom,

It's an impressive TV show.

There are a lot of story lines, so in some ways that causes it to move slower than your typical show. I've enjoyed it and hope to see the stories develop well. I like that the writers leave some story moments open to interpretation - it gives my wife and I something to discuss after each episode. They do an amazing job at taking you back to that time period with spot on art direction and cinematography. The acting is great too.

I'm a bit on the conservative side with my viewing habits - there's more sex and violence than what I typically watch. You may not want to watch it with your grandmother.

Is the AC magazine article worth reading?

Edited by Benjamin Rowland