DOF and FOV calculator

Hello!

I was wondering if there is a tool out there, which can calculate me the following:

E.g.: I am 10 metres away from my subject. I want my FOV of 2 metres height. I am shooting on 35mm. My DOF should be 1 meter. And I am shooting with a T4.

Is there a little tool (also iphone, webapp, etc), which can calculate me quickly the necessary focal lenght?

I found plenty of tools the other way around...

kapabel

Edited by Kapabel

• Premium Member

You want a 65mm lens. To get 1m of depth of field, though, you won't be at a T4. You'll be a bit closed from T1!

There is. It's called p-cam and it's available for the iphone.

• Premium Member

You want a 65mm lens. To get 1m of depth of field, though, you won't be at a T4. You'll be a bit closed from T1!

There is. It's called p-cam and it's available for the iphone.

Ooh, massive grammar failure and too late to edit. I meant to say, "There is a tool like that. It's called p-cam and it's available for the iphone."

• Premium Member

If you have Excel; you can use this. I keep it on my PC for when I need it.

http://www.panavision.asia/uploads/PDFs/Cine-Tools/CINECALC.XLS

I also use the Kodak ipod app for DoF if I'm on set/scout, and will also refer to my American Cinematographer manual, 9th edition, when needed and when batteries/power is scarce.

PCam and PCine are also very nice tools, though I never bought them myself I know many ACs who have been very satisfied.

• Premium Member

I did it with p-cam.

There's an amount of trial and error there. For example, the field of view question meant I gave the FoV calculator the subject distance and then plugged in focal lengths of common lenses until the vertical field of view was as close as possible to 2.0m. Just the same, once I had that lens and subject distance, I plugged that an T4 into the depth of field calculator portion and it was much more than 1m of depth of field. So I opened up until the depth of field was close to the value you asked for.

It's faster to do than to explain.