soft point source?

Went to an NHL game last night with all lights on for tv broadcast. Looked nice and bright, practically shadowless on the ice. The lights were like tv scoops, about 200 way way above the rink arranged in a shape that matched the rink below. Hard to tell but it looked like they had some kind of diffusion, material or not eggcrates but louver type things maybe. At that distance though, any diffusion would really just act as a scrim wouldn't it? The light was so soft and these lights are so relatively small and far away, why wouldn't there be more and sharper shadows?

Edited by Jim Feldspar

volume, thats how they do it volume!

there were shadow and lots of them, but because of the volume of lights and all the same style wattage and distance they even out the shadows to a soft source look, kind of like a cyc light system.

Thank you. it's funny because if you didn't look at the lights pointing down,you could think that the light on the game was bounced somehow because it was so even. it would be fun to see what the place looks like with just the lights from any one side turned on. I also wondered what the wattage on them might be and if they are run on higher voltage as well. Still must be pulling lots of amps.

• Premium Member

Isn't a shadow just a relative absence of light?

With a lot of point sources there are usually many shadows, also usually on the sharper side. My question is why aren't there more shadows in this situation? I think that Robert's answer means that there are just so many lights that they wash out the many shadows that are there. I guess that if you could see the rink with just a couple of banks of the lights turned on, there would be many visible shadows and much harder light.