DSLR lens buy

hey guys,

I have a canon 60D (with kit EF-S 18-135 3.5/5.6) and i'm looking to buy a new lens(s). should i get a) tamron EF 28-75 2.8 OR B) both the canon EF 50mm 1.8 and the canon EF 85mm 1.8?

are there other lenses i should look into? i want to be able to put it on a full frame if needed (so i want an EF). i'm open to suggestions!

thanks,

Austin Millinder

Cinematographer and Photographer

I had a hard time myself selecting which zoom to buy, comparing tamron, sigma and canons together, in the end I went and got the canon. WHY?

I tried the sigma and the tamron in the field and returned them immediately, They do a lot of hunting, the sharpness is acceptable but not all that great.

I got the canon 24-70mm 2.8 L from ebay for about $1000 and you just cant go wrong. You'll wonder why you didnt get it sooner. And the bokeh is amazing on 2.8

I have a few video's I made using the Canon & and the 24-70mm at 2.8

here they are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_x87aT4WZY

there are more there with the canon 35mm 1.4 L

• 2 weeks later...

My recommendations are as follows:

If you're shooting video ONLY: get 28mm (and/or 35mm), 50mm, and 85mm f2.8 or faster manual focus nikon primes (used from KEH or eBay) with a canon mount adapter and then complement those with the kit lens (which is only a half stop slower than f2.8 at 18mm!). Old Nikon glass is as sharp (or sharper) than modern zooms, but has a prettier look, nicer bokeh, etc. BUT no image stabilization so put that 85mm lens on a tripod!

Or, for $550 get the Tamron 17-50mm zoom. I have mixed feelings about this lens. It seems to perform right on par with the twice-as-expensive Canon version and have better IS but the bokeh is inferior. For a gorgeous silky look...not my top pick, but still okay. For the money, though...it's a great lone lens. That said, f2 is useful and 85mm is a nice focal length (so is 105mm) so you may want to branch out.