Schindler's List

John Byrne

Hi,

Only new to this area and trying to take in as much as I can. Recently watched Schindler's List and was actually disappointed with the overall look of the film. Having a quick look around and seeing that it won an Oscar for Cinematography/on those top lists etc, I'm obviously in the minority here. My biggest issue was how the highlights were blown out in a lot of scenes - did anyone else have a problem with that or is it just me? There were some nice uses of Rembrandt lighting and some other moments in the fog/mist that looked really neat but otherwise I was really disappointed. I don't know if this is a fair comparison or not but for me, something like The White Ribbon floors this film in terms of cinematography.

Anyway, only a new student so go easy on me!

Interesting...I had a search around google for some comments by him but couldn't find any! I'm curious to see what he says as it might be what I'm thinking in my head but can't put into words.

Don't get me wrong, I like blown-out highlights too, but here they just didn't work for me whatsoever. :/

Interesting...I had a search around google for some comments by him but couldn't find any! I'm curious to see what he says as it might be what I'm thinking in my head but can't put into words.

Don't get me wrong, I like blown-out highlights too, but here they just didn't work for me whatsoever. :/

I remember last time I spoke to him he mentioned it, it was all about black and white. It would be cool if he came on here and elaborated his thoughts, but if I see him around again I'll give him an ask.