Can 200ft Aaton spool be used in Beaulieu R16 200ft extension mag?

allison gibbs

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to working with 16mm and am still figuring the basics.

I recently started using a beaulieu R16 and want to try out the 200ft extension mag. However, I'm not sure whether I can stick the Aaton spool straight in the beaulieu mag using the the spool adapter I have, or whether I need to spool the film onto a regular daylight spool, as the film on the Aaton 200ft load is wound emulsion out. Because I was given the 200ft spool adapter specifically for using with Aaton spools in other cameras, that would suggest I don't need to spool the film onto a different spool, but if I put the existing Aaton 200ft film spool into the beaulieu as is, the film, I think, will load with the emulsion the wrong way around.

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty getting my head around this! Does anyone have any experience of this or any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance

• Premium Member

You'll have to spool it back to the emulsion side down wind. Shouldn't be much of a problem but kind of defeats any advantage of buying the A-Minima reels. Much better off buying 400' 16mm and spooling it down yourself in a dark room (most labs will let you borrow their dark rooms). 200' daylight reels are a little hard to find but cores wouldn't be a problem.

You'll have to spool it back to the emulsion side down wind. Shouldn't be much of a problem but kind of defeats any advantage of buying the A-Minima reels. Much better off buying 400' 16mm and spooling it down yourself in a dark room (most labs will let you borrow their dark rooms). 200' daylight reels are a little hard to find but cores wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Will. Yep, I'm off to the darkroom now!

A