Zone System / Waveform monitor relationship

EDDUS RAY

Does anyone have any information regarding the application of the Zone System to the waveform monitor? Do certain Zones fall over IRE brackets? I.E. Zone V @ say 50 IRE'S...?

Edited by Judson Lee

From my understanding no, that's not the case. IRE is a percentage based value for the video signal being broadcast and since each camera has a different dynamic range the values shown by the IRE will relate to each dynamic range differently. You'd have to do tests with a grey scale (with your shooting camera) to really be able to know how to read the IRE values in stops. This isn't even considering the fact that IRE are logarithmic and not linear so it won't 6 IRE = 1 stop throughout the waveform.

• 3 weeks later...

From my understanding no, that's not the case. IRE is a percentage based value for the video signal being broadcast and since each camera has a different dynamic range the values shown by the IRE will relate to each dynamic range differently. You'd have to do tests with a grey scale (with your shooting camera) to really be able to know how to read the IRE values in stops. This isn't even considering the fact that IRE are logarithmic and not linear so it won't 6 IRE = 1 stop throughout the waveform.

Thanks man, that make sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

There's an article in the American Cinematographer video manual 3rd Ed. titled "How to use the zone system to predict

Video image contrast", which discusses the relationship of IRE units and the zone system, if you can get you hands on

one. I bought my copy on half.com.