Hey guys!

So I've been working as a freelance Editor for several years.

I miss working on set and as the post market seems to be more and more saturated I want to expand my options for work and include camera as a skill set. And I don't mean video I mean big boy rigs like the Alexa and Scarlett and F55.

I've been following The Black and The Blue for sometime. I've had a great deal of photographic experience from college and have been on set as many years as in post.

So I feel I can pick up (even as a camera PA I don't need an ego here) in the camera department and become a real asset.

My question is this: Where can I meet folks who can help me get an interview? I want to work up to at least a 2nd AC and I think my experience in post would give me an edge in Digital Production.

So yeah... I'm super excited about starting in a new department and learning a ton more. Any Advice? Leads?

-SM

• Premium Member

But what are your long-term goals in the camera department? Each job category can be quite different than the other in terms of the type of work involved. Your background in editing would be applicable to something like data asset management (fancy way of saying digital downloading & back-up) but not necessarily focus-pulling or operating or DP work, which can be learned of course, but the question is whether you have a passion for any of those things.

• Upvote 1

David Thank you for responding,

Well my long term goals for camera are in the way future distance to Operate and from there someday to Direct. Part of why I went into Editing was to get closer to Directors so I could interact in terms of narrative and to observe their process. Part of it was to make money in a career progressive mode.

At this point I'm thinking I want to learn more on camera and be a really great AC (which to me is it's own discipline) and learn as much as I can. I think this works as a win-win.

I can earn and pay the bills while learning new skill sets that will help in my long term goals of Directing. I think I could be a really great AC, I can learn more of the details of working in Camera AND observe process's on set I've not had the opportunity to see in post.

I would note though I spend a lot of time looking at how footage goes together. I see it on the other-side and have to directly manipulate the footage. I've seen bad focus pulling and stellar "oh my god it's full of stars" pulling. I want to learn to do the latter.

I do feel my time assembling a context of footage plays as an excellent background for looking at coverage on set. So were I to apply this as a DP I feel I could have a unique perspective when interacting with a Director or as a Director.

My passion is Filmmaking. Anything that furthers my sense of craft is worth it. Even a cut in rate is still ok if I'm learning to be a better filmmaker.

Edited by Sean M Murphy

• 2 weeks later...

I can see what you are going for, but how about starting out in the directing-apartment instead? Like a third or second assistant director, if directing is what you want in the long run. Then you'd be really close to the "action" you need to be in. And while that pays your bills you could make your own films on the side :)

I can see what you are going for, but how about starting out in the directing-apartment instead? Like a third or second assistant director, if directing is what you want in the long run. Then you'd be really close to the "action" you need to be in. And while that pays your bills you could make your own films on the side :)

I've spent quite a few years in the AD department and then I moved to Post. Now I think my focus will be in camera where I have more of a passion and can feel more creatively satisfied.