Belle Howell 240 light/leak question

Nealesk

I found a belle and Howell 240 in my grandpas attic. I've tested it and mechanically it's in fine shape. The light meter doesn't work but I've shot enough on film to ballpark it and the kind of films I make encourage over/under exposures! (Silent experimental stuff a la Jonas mekas without the narrative)

My is such: is there any way I can tell from the exterior if there is a leak in the body? From what I can see , everything closes firm. Assuming there isn't a way to check without processing film, can I make a black tarp/cover to wrap around the camera? Ill be just pointing and shooting from the hip so comfort is not a factor?

I'm just terrified ill shoot my film ( a burial road trip for my 1977 Datsun across the southwest) and then the film destroyed...

I can't ask my grandpa sadly enough but I found a ton of beautifully exposed 16 mm in/around the box with the 240

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated

• Premium Member

Nealesk, the forum policy is that everybody displays her or his full name.

The name of the camera maker in this case is Bell & Howell Co.

You don’t have to worry about the camera’s light tightness. As long as you can place the lid on firmly and take it off nicely it also closes hermetically.

The only danger for your film are you yourself. Why so anxious?

If you need to do wrap your camera in tape but it is absolutely not necessary. Better get yourself a tripod. Shaky pictures are no comfort to anybody. My two beards

Edited by Simon Wyss