Shooting anamorphic on Bolex H16

Paul Orr

So, I will be shooting an upcoming project on a Bolex H16. This will be my first foray into shooting with motion picture film, but I am looking to shoot using my Proskar 16 anamorphic lens, which I normally use on my GH3. I'm trying to figure out if/how this is possible with the Bolex. So far I have come up with a few possible solutions:

1. I have a rear lens clamp that adds a 52mm thread to the rear of the Proskar. I considered simply using a step up ring to attach the clamp to the front of the 25mm f1.4 Switar on the Bolex.

Problems:

-I do not know the exact filter diameter of the Switar. It seems to be an oddball thread size, and I haven't found any step-up rings that fit it.

-I fear the weight of the Proskar will be too much for the C-mount and the filter thread on the Switar to handle.

2. Devise a clamp/rail system to hold the Proskar in front of the taking lens. I have seen pictures of the original Moeller Anamorphot attached to an H16 using a clamp attached to rails that screwed into the other two lens mounts. I think I may be able to DIY something similar to this

filter50_2.jpg

Problems:

-Not sure if I will be able to find the parts I need to build something like this that will actually work.

3. This solution is pretty off-the-wall. I have considered that it should be physically possible to adapt my Voigtlander 25mm for Micro 4/3, to which I already have means to attach the Proskar, to the Bolex. The flange distance of M43 (20cm) is greater than that of the C-mount lenses (17.53cm), so theoretically adapting a M43 lens to the Bolex should be possible, correct? Has anybody attempted this before, or does anybody know who I can contact about attempting this? Or is it even possible?

Problems:

-Don't know how/if I could manufacture such an adapter.

-Again, I fear the lens combination would be too heavy for the mount.

So, has anybody successfully done anything like this using a Bolex? Any insights as to how/if it is possible? Or should I just not bother and stick to the standard 4:3 ratio?

• 1 year later...

Actually you can, while it is true that the 4/3 flange distance is greater than c-mount the c-mount lenses are much smaller in diameter and can fit inside the 4/3 mount allowing for recessed adapters that can achieve infinity focus without optics. However I am not sure whether or not these adapters will work the lenses the OP has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Mount-to-Lens-Adapter-Micro-M4-3-Mft-Black-Magic-Pocket-System-Gh2-Gh3-/281511492162?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Edited by David Hessel

if you havent done so already and you have a late model Bolex... pull the "leather" covering off the rectangular faceplate on the front of the base. Remove the two screws and use a fine edged knife blade to pop the metal cover off. The threaded hole on the right side as you are facing the camera is roughly center below the taking lens. Run a bolt through a 15mm rod bracket and attach here. Carefull of the depth of the bolt. Too far and youll break into the case of the camera. Also bolex made a factory rod mount for the late model square base. I used telescope ring mounts to attach such things as anamorphic lens adapters. But as stated above there is a rod adapter system that goes into the other turret positions. I think its use may be limited to the Bolex licensed anamorphot attachment though.