Maxim Ford

What is the standard of Cinematography teaching on Film Courses in the UK

I have come across university courses for film making, where they do not seen to teach any photo science, no optics, exposure, lighting etc....

Some have no lights other than a few Red Heads....and yet claim to be training DOPs

This courses are approved by Skillset.

It is very difficult to get a true picture of whats going on, colleges say all is fantastiic and what student wants to just say I have finished a crap film school?

How many colleges / film schools are really teaching cinematography?

Extremely few.... only really the NFTS, but the thing with there is that they don't really take people fresh out of uni/school - it is more for people with a little experience under their belt.

The Met Film School does teach some proper stuff, but the poor staff have an uphill battle with the powers that be - a familiar tale at many schools I'm sure.

Regardless of their content most of these courses are teaching people to do jobs that don't exist.

The content of the course may be drivel - I'm sure it often is - but right now that doesn't really seem like the key issue.

If there are two thousand people on year-long camera courses right now, that's one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-five more than we need.

P