Krasnogorsk shutter options

NOT-Nicholas Lee-Shield

Hey guys,

I'm about to shoot my first roll of 16mm tomorrow, but I'm unsure on two things - A) if I've loaded the film correctly - I have the emulsion side (lighter side) of the film running through the gate

and B) how do I choose the right shutter speed, as mines in Russian? (Doesn't have the 12,25,50,100 etc option, but rather 8,11,16,22,32,45,65,90,130,180)

Mine looks like this...

http://www.k3camera.com/k3/images/2011-dial-russian-ccw.jpg

Thanks,

Nick

• Premium Member

If you're asking how to set the frame rate, there is a lower dial with 8, 12, 16 24, 32 48 fps settings.

The dial in your linked photo is to set the film speed (ASA/ISO) relative to the frame rate for the internal light meter. So if you're shooting 200 ASA film at 24fps you line the inner film speed number - 200 (or 180 GOST, pretty much the same) - up with the outer frame rate number - 24. Only relevant if you're relying on the internal light meter, which may not be a great idea if you haven't tested it first. Better to use an external meter.

Shutter speed is a different thing again, on a K3 which has a fixed 144 degree shutter, at 24 fps the shutter speed (exposure time) is 1/60 sec.