Hi,

I am considering this lens for Super 16mm format. Obviously the focal length is 16mm, but does anyone know if this lens was designed for the 16mm format, or just a generic 16mm focal length lens and marketed as interchangeable for 16mm/35mm formats. I know that some Zeiss lenses have "Arriflex 16" / "Arriflex 16mm" / "Arriflex Super 16" engraved on them - this one just has "Arriflex" engraved.

I am told that a lens designed especially for the 16mm format will be everso slightly sharper as it needs to project a sharp image on a smaller area - than say the same lens designed for 35mm format.

The lens is Zeiss Distagon 16mm T* t 1.3

It is PL mount. The guy who has it for sale said that he used it on his SR2 on super 16.

I have found some pics online of the lens (one is a 12mm, but is visually the same). It has a big silver metal lever or stick coming out of the side. I don't think this a mk1 super speed? The important thing for me is whether its a native 16mm format lens or not.

Your help is very much appreciated.

BIG THANKS!

Cheers

Julian

post-59975-0-52671300-1493737653_thumb.jpg

post-59975-0-62707700-1493737709_thumb.jpg

post-59975-0-51727200-1493737726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Julian Fletcher

These lenses were designed for 16mm. The lenses in the pictures are Mk1 Super Speed Distagons, these have wings to allow you to using them in an Arri 16 BL blimp. They have a more compressed focus scale than the later marks and the ones shown here have an Arri bayonet mount.

Many thanks - great info. I am thinking about acquiring one for use on my Bolex H16. I can get a PL to C mount adapter. Do you think I would see a distinct benefit in sharpness vs

a) using my Nikon Zeiss ZF lens (designed for 35mm)

b) Switar 16mm bolex lens.

(I shoot at f8 most of the time, so any effect due to the prism issue will be neglible).

Thoughts?

I shot some animation using a 25mm at T2.8 on a Bolex and it was good quality, Note that these lenses are better when not being used at T8,(they're limited to T11) they quality is better at the wider stops, however, T1.3 doesn't match modern glass.

They gave a more contrasty look than the Switars I've used,