Print Film Emulation LUTs

Sidharth Sadhujan

Anyone have any ideas where I could find some of the original Kodak print film emulation LUTs that expected an input of scanner printing density and output to a display gamut like Rec709?

I recently got a scan of super16 done on the LaserGraphics ScanStation and am looking for a proper LUT to go from the scanner output to Rec709. All the print film emulation LUTs I have found seem to be ones made to make video footage look more filmic. Hence, when I apply them to my film scan things don't look correct at all. Even the built in Kodak2383 LUTs in Resolve don't seem to give an appropriate image.

Is it possible to still find the 'proper' LUTs that take in printing density and mimic the look of 2383 or 2393? Or am I using the built in Kodak2383 LUT in Resolve incorrectly?

Anyone have any ideas where I could find some of the original Kodak print film emulation LUTs that expected an input of scanner printing density and output to a display gamut like Rec709?

I recently got a scan of super16 done on the LaserGraphics ScanStation and am looking for a proper LUT to go from the scanner output to Rec709. All the print film emulation LUTs I have found seem to be ones made to make video footage look more filmic. Hence, when I apply them to my film scan things don't look correct at all. Even the built in Kodak2383 LUTs in Resolve don't seem to give an appropriate image.

Is it possible to still find the 'proper' LUTs that take in printing density and mimic the look of 2383 or 2393? Or am I using the built in Kodak2383 LUT in Resolve incorrectly?

You can check Photoshop or Speedgrade, if you have the Adobe CC. I'm not sure the one's in Resolve are different though. The resolve one looks about right to me. Please remember that the LUT is designed to preview what a film print would look like, and it may be a bit "strong" for a digital finish. In Resolve you can lower the opacity of the LUT to lower it's intensity and that might do what you want. I'm not sure about your experience as a colorist, but you should put the kodak LUT in the middle of the stack of nodes. Nodes before the LUT work in LOG space, nodes after the LUT in REC 709 LGG traditional grading. You will need to adjust offset, and basic color balance using RGB individual offsets + contrast and pivot, and saturation in the nodes before the LUT. Then fine tune in the REC709 nodes after the LUT.

FWIW, I'm grading a feature now shot on Arri Alexa LogC and I'm using the Kodak LUT at 30% opacity to add just a little bit of the "feel" of film color space. I have the Alexa LogC to REC709 LUT set at 60% for the rest of the transform. Since you're coming from a film scan, the Alexa LUT would not be appropriate for you. In Resolve there might be a straight Log to REC 709 LUT, or, if not, a color space transform in the OFX plug ins whose tab is located in the upper right menu when in the color tab.

If you send me your email, I can send you the LUT from photoshop. I don't think I can attach that type of file here.

• Upvote 1