General advice for 1st time using redheads

Sounds like you know what you're doing.

The cable actually inside the head gets very hot and it can just cook itself to death, get brittle and break. It probably needs replacing. At least you have a decent seller.

PAT testing has turned into something of a box-ticking exercise as even the HSE seem to admit. When I worked at the Crown Court an attempt was made to make barristers have their laptops PAT tested before using them in court. It was just another burden for small businesses -which is what most barristers are, and what you are- and was unenforceable.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Right, I guessed heat was why the cable entering was a different type, probably failed near the fitting as you suggest. Seller has been great, yes. He has tons of stuff for sale, mostly his father's older video kit, but a fair few lights, mixers etc. I think there are some frenels but they're long and square, not like the arri ones I've seen. Wish I knew more about it as I'm sure there'd be some other good buys.

I wonder if the "long and square" ones are actually theatre spots. They have a longer snoot for focussing silhouettes on stage, or something like that. Not my department.

You could just make him a lower offer for the faulty ones- you can probably fix it up for a pound or two, with some oven cable off ebay.