My videos are junk so far

BrandonFuller

Your video can be brightened up in post. I took a screen shot of a single frame and used the brightness and contrast sliders in Photoshop the same as I would do in Premiere Pro for a whole video sequence. Takes less than a minute in Photoshop or Premiere Pro. I think the more light you have, the more sharpness you will see. Like taking a pic with and without a flash. It seems like with that lens and camera you should have a sharper focus. Maybe more light and raise the iso a bit to see if the focus is sharper. Then you can brighten it up in post.

https://tinyurl.com/yd9ousoy

I apparently turned it to private instead of unlisted
Thanks

Edited by Bob Speziale

Also, maybe try more light and raise the iso a bit to see if the focus is sharper, like Robin said iso1600 at f4. Also I'd try a higher frame rate. You can try 60 fps. in HD. That will give a sharper image. 24fps gives a smoother cinema look, but a blog or news show or sports looks sharper at 60fps. Also I've shot 60fps HD at 1/60th of a second in lower light and it works out fine. Alot of the shooting rules can be broken when it gives you a better image. With your camera and lens you ought to be able to get a sharper image, it's a top of the line dslr and lens. Good luck.

Your video can be brightened up in post. I took a screen shot of a single frame and used the brightness and contrast sliders in Photoshop the same as I would do in Premiere Pro for a whole video sequence. Takes less than a minute in Photoshop or Premiere Pro. I think the more light you have, the more sharpness you will see. Like taking a pic with and without a flash. It seems like with that lens and camera you should have a sharper focus. Maybe more light and raise the iso a bit to see if the focus is sharper. Then you can brighten it up in post.

https://tinyurl.com/yd9ousoy

Three more suggestions came to mind.

1. if you are shooting in a flat color profile, that is only used if you are going to post process the video to put back the color, like in my example above. Otherwise use a standard color profile.

2. Shoot the video with auto settings and see what the camera decides looks the best. Then take still pics with the same auto settings and look at the still pic properties to see what the camera seected for iso, f-stop and exposure to get that look. Your camera is a $2K plus computer and initially may make better decisions than you do.

3. The time spent on a video is mostly in editing. For a 3-4 minute video I spend 5 or 6 hours cutting, editing, etc. before putting it on Youtube.

Making videos isn't like driving a car. It's more like making hand made furniture. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to get there, but you've made a good start.

Also, maybe try more light and raise the iso a bit to see if the focus is sharper, like Robin said iso1600 at f4. Also I'd try a higher frame rate. You can try 60 fps. in HD. That will give a sharper image. 24fps gives a smoother cinema look, but a blog or news show or sports looks sharper at 60fps. Also I've shot 60fps HD at 1/60th of a second in lower light and it works out fine. Alot of the shooting rules can be broken when it gives you a better image. With your camera and lens you ought to be able to get a sharper image, it's a top of the line dslr and lens. Good luck.

Edited by Bob Speziale

This video was F2 800 iso I added a light straight above the vise.

I also edited color half way through to get your opinions on the color correcting Lute that I have been using.

is this lighting good enough or will I need more? I do have 3 more of these clamp lights I can add. I use dryer sheets to diffuse the light a bit.

Much better. Adding the color at 2:43 made all the difference. Looks good to me as is.

This video was F2 800 iso I added a light straight above the vise.

I also edited color half way through to get your opinions on the color correcting Lute that I have been using.

is this lighting good enough or will I need more? I do have 3 more of these clamp lights I can add. I use dryer sheets to diffuse the light a bit.