WRACKING MY BRAIN trying to find out what LUT this is!! Does anyone recognize it?

Guest Madison Young

Guest Madison Young

I apologize in advance for this post being so long. Screenshots of the color grade and video links are at the bottom of the post. Cross-posted to Grading, DI, and Telecine.

---

A few years ago, I ran across a Vimeo, under the name Organik Cineworks. They are a Hungarian couple that creates wedding videos. I saw one of their videos, and loved their editing style, so I followed them. Now, I am obsessed with their color grading. Let me just say, they are SO difficult to get in contact with, because a) They're Hungarian, and b) They probably don't have time to answer someone's questions about their grading. HOWEVER, after emailing and messaging them through their social medias, I finally got a response. To summarize, the couple said this:

• We grade using LUTs in Lumetri, Premiere Pro, but cannot say which LUTs we are using. We have different presets of a LUT to fit different lighting conditions.

I then said that I understood, and asked if they could forward me the scopes from one of their videos. The scopes I received are also at the bottom of this post. I changed the subject and asked about the settings they use on their a6300. I have the same set-up as them:

• All of our films were captured using the a6300. We shoot in PP6 Cine 4, and find it to be just as beautiful as S-log without the need of constant high ISO. We do not use noise reduction in post.

Finally, I decided to shoot my shot once more and inquire about the LUTs they use, because I literally. cannot. find. them. anywhere. I had searched for hours, so I started to wonder if they were specifically "wedding LUTs", or maybe they were LUTs not available online for purchase, and Organik Cineworks made the LUTs themselves. I also found similar ones to theirs (White in Revery and Kreativ wedding LUTs), so I asked if I was on the right track. Here's the response I received:

• White in Revery and Kreativ LUTs are indeed similar to the ones we use ? Yes, it's a wedding LUT that wasn't made by us, but we really can't say more than that.

I left it at that, and really didn't want to bother them anymore. I then went into Premiere Pro and tried my hardest to replicate it myself. The result is something that reminds me of their crushed blacks, desaturated greens, white highlights, and general warm, earthy vibe, but isn't exactly IT. I am a huge perfectionist, and cannot accept the fact that it isn't just like theirs. Here is a screenshot from my attempt: https://imgur.com/a/UqWA1qH

I ended up using Kreativ's "Osmara" LUT as a base, and made some minor tweaks.

Below are the scopes they sent me and the screenshots of the grading. If you would like to watch the videos instead, here are the links to a few of their recent ones where the grading is consistent:

VIDEO LINKS

SCOPES

SCREENSHOTS

Here is a link to my Imgur album with all screenshots.

---

Please let me know if you recognize these colors and know what LUTs they're using. I get roasted every time I post this on Reddit. Those commenting say these colors are very generic and can be found in nearly any LUT pack. I disagree. I've never seen this exact grading style before. I normally see the generic orange-teal, while this is more of a brown and desaturated green. I know a LUT is simply a base for grading mostly log footage, and of course can be tweaked. I also realize that just because I may find out the name of the LUT they use, doesn't mean I will achieve the exact look their videos have. There are many other factors to take into account. However, I genuinely am curious to know where they're getting these beautiful colors from at this point, and have been wracking my brain combing through LUTs online. I'm not trying to copy them, as I rarely do wedding videos and have my own film style myself. I just would like to post and see if anyone recognizes this LUT.

Thanks ?

Yuck - bit too magenta for my taste. I wouldn't hold those LUT's (or whatever) as great examples of grading. 

The photography is good (maybe your responding to that), but for me the colour correction is working against the footage.

Good day, Madison Young

Your post is very informative and I see that you have obsession with those LUTs. However there is a chance that those LUTs are custom made and it is impossible to purchase them. 

In your position the easiest solution would be to purchase LUTs from the company that uses them. However there is a high chance that they would refuse that or you shooting conditions would make those LUTs impossible to use. 

But there is another way to follow. Not go for the LUT, but go for the look instead. As far as I saw on the videos there is a high contrast with blown shadows and highlights. It is possible to replicate those grades and create a LUT based on this data with a bit of tweaking here and there.

I could help you with that as I am working as a colorist. Recreation of the look from a reference is something that I do almost on a daily basis. Get in touch and we see what we can do with this LUT investigation. 

Guest Madison Young
19 hours ago, Yarik Yaryshev said:

Good day, Madison Young

Your post is very informative and I see that you have obsession with those LUTs. However there is a chance that those LUTs are custom made and it is impossible to purchase them. 

In your position the easiest solution would be to purchase LUTs from the company that uses them. However there is a high chance that they would refuse that or you shooting conditions would make those LUTs impossible to use. 

But there is another way to follow. Not go for the LUT, but go for the look instead. As far as I saw on the videos there is a high contrast with blown shadows and highlights. It is possible to replicate those grades and create a LUT based on this data with a bit of tweaking here and there.

I could help you with that as I am working as a colorist. Recreation of the look from a reference is something that I do almost on a daily basis. Get in touch and we see what we can do with this LUT investigation. 

All very good info. Thank you for commenting and I sent you a message. And yes, I am indeed obsessed with the colors ?

Guest Madison Young
On 5/15/2019 at 7:35 AM, Phil Connolly said:

Yuck - bit too magenta for my taste. I wouldn't hold those LUT's (or whatever) as great examples of grading. 

The photography is good (maybe your responding to that), but for me the colour correction is working against the footage.

Yeah, I've realized it isn't everyone's cup of tea. There are definitely some tweaks I would make to the grading myself ?

17 hours ago, Madison Young said:

Yeah, I've realized it isn't everyone's cup of tea. There are definitely some tweaks I would make to the grading myself ?

Personal taste is of course personal taste. My previous comments were a bit blunt. 

Guest Madison Young
8 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

Personal taste is of course personal taste. My previous comments were a bit blunt. 

No worries ?