Interview Lighting Kit

Edward

I'm looking for a portable lighting kit (I'll have to carry it around a lot of the time on planes, trains etc.) for interviews etc. and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the following kits:

http://www.cirrolite.com/lighting_kits_KDS31S.html

http://www.cirrolite.com/lighting_kits_KAD41.html

I already have a couple of Dedo DLH4 lights, but I need a soft light to use with them - I'm not sure if I should get a softbox like a starlight or lowel rifa or else go with something like a kino diva 400. I need to be able to set up and take down the lights quickly too - the diva 400 looks like a good bet to me, but it is quite heavy.

Thanks, Edward

I'm looking for a portable lighting kit (I'll have to carry it around a lot of the time on planes, trains etc.) for interviews etc. and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the following kits:

http://www.cirrolite.com/lighting_kits_KDS31S.html

http://www.cirrolite.com/lighting_kits_KAD41.html

I already have a couple of Dedo DLH4 lights, but I need a soft light to use with them - I'm not sure if I should get a softbox like a starlight or lowel rifa or else go with something like a kino diva 400. I need to be able to set up and take down the lights quickly too - the diva 400 looks like a good bet to me, but it is quite heavy.

Thanks, Edward

I shot TV News for a while and a few years ago I shot for a dotcom news organization and my favorite kit was a couple of peppers, the Dedos are better lights, and a 2ft 4 tube Kino. If I was inside I used all 2900 tube and in a mixed situation, window light or moslty daylight, I used half 5500 and half 2900 tubes. I then just added blue to the kicker if it looked too warm. I got really good results even in places where the producer thought I was crazy. Just having the ability to shoot in daylight with minimum hassels was great. I now work for Booster Lighting doing the marketing and I think the Booster fluorescents are a better choice but if you would like more info contact me off list.

But this is my experience.

The plane travel thing has become a real nightmare. All my cases were weighed out at 70 lbs they are weighted at 50 lbs. Ouch. I went from an ARRI soft light kit, 1 open Face 1k, 2 650, 1 300. To 2 tota lights and 1 DP light.

Thanks for the advice, I have now narrowed it down to two soft lights, either a Lowel Rifa 500 w or the Kino Diva 400. The Diva is heavier and more expensive, but the daylight tubes and dimmer are a huge bonus; the weight is still swaying me towards the Rifa though. Which light is the most versatile/ cost effective in the long run?

• Premium Member

Hi,

If you need to be portable and run on office power, unquestionably go for the fluorescent. You will still need to carry something harder, with a bit more punch, to do slashes and kickers in sitdown interview situations, but a couple of redheads (ebay) and their lightweight stands aren't much to carry, or even to fly.

I'd want two 2x4 kinos and two redheads.

Phil

I have the 2 lowel kits, both softcased. One is tiny weighs about 30lbs and has 2 pro lights and a V-light. The other weighs about 40lbs and has a Rifa, a pro light and a V-light. I have used A LOT of kits and these two, in my experience, are the very best for travel (expecially air travel). My Arri softbank kit is beautiful, but too hard to lug around - and has to be checked. I love the look of Kinos, but I think they suffer from the same problems of weight and size, plus like Arri, they are very expensive.

I would really recommend Lowel, for price, weight, and portability- and they are fast to set up and take down. Each kit was under $1K, and I've never regretted going with Lowel.

• Premium Member

Hello Edward,

I like the Kino Flo,KAD 41. Its looks to me like CIRRO LITE is a partner of Kino

Flo,see bottom of advertisement. What I like about this Kino Flo is that it looks

fairly compact to carry, just one case? I think I would like it a lot if I was flying

a lot. Actually the one Kino Flo source can be used as two lights in one. By pos-

itioning the light appropriately you can provide key and fill lighting and also use

ambient light available. I believe you can actually do a little light modeling on

your subject. Might be a real plus if you are shooting HD. I use a Kino Flo on cam-

era and actually move the camera to achieve key and fill lighting. I'm speaking now

of the of the Kino Flo ring light. I've also built a small light stand of my own design

so that I can move the Kino Flo off camera,but near the camera,and achieve two

light lighting with one light. This is much along the lines of one light portraiture ligh-

ting in the photography studio. I belive the Kin Flo ring would be more compact to

haul around with a small light stand,power supply. You can vary its intensity. Just

some suggestions,hope you find something that pleases you. I use a ring to achieve

a style,look thats different than everybody else,trying to achieve my own style. Of

course moving the camera with the ring on it, is not always appropriate.

Greg Gross