Bloom effect filter

Hey friends, 

Shooting a feature with two timelines, one is in1999 one is in 2019, i want my highlights in 1999 to have a bloom effect doing it in camera, looking into what type of filter might be most suitable for that effect. Glimmer glass? Promist series ? 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Saba Mazloum said:

Hey friends, 

Shooting a feature with two timelines, one is in1999 one is in 2019, i want my highlights in 1999 to have a bloom effect doing it in camera, looking into what type of filter might be most suitable for that effect. Glimmer glass? Promist series ? 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Promist, Black Promist, Glimmerglass, Frost, Black Frost, and the combo variants like Hollywood Black Magic would work. Nets, lenslet style diffusion like Classic Soft and SoftFX, fog, and low-con filters would also work.  

They’re all slightly different, so I would look at the various online filter tests from Tiffen and Schneider to get a better idea.

Even better would be to research various films, pull frame grabs that you like, and post them here. David Mullen probably could tell you exactly what they used.

• Premium Member

The amount of blooming is controlled by how overexposed that area is, so if you want to maintain more sharpness, a lighter filter grade but stronger use of hot backlights, etc. will give you halation without getting into heavier filters.

Some diffusion filters cause more contrast loss than others but if you are color-correcting digitally or creating LUTs, etc. you can counteract that by increasing the contrast and lowering the blacks.

Thanks for the detailed response, i forgot to mention I’d like 1999 section to also be low in contrast, so i guess its a combination of strength of backlight and level of filter i use. Lens wise I’m using Cooke speed panchro s2s3( a set I bought years ago, rehoused by JDC), the lens itself is already quite soft and warm, ill just have to do specific test i guess to see what level of filter with what strength of backlight will get what i want then. 

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Saba Mazloum said:

Thanks for the detailed response, i forgot to mention I’d like 1999 section to also be low in contrast, so i guess its a combination of strength of backlight and level of filter i use. Lens wise I’m using Cooke speed panchro s2s3( a set I bought years ago, rehoused by JDC), the lens itself is already quite soft and warm, ill just have to do specific test i guess to see what level of filter with what strength of backlight will get what i want then. 

You’re kind of already getting the softness, highlight halation, and low-con look with those lenses, so you might only need a very light grade of filter.