Poorman's Process

Guest Christopher Wedding

I'm shooting a scene with a Van using the poorman's process. Of course, our main concern is that the gag sell. We're shooting HD (antiquated AJ-900 60P Cam). Anyone with suggestions, and hopefully a diagram would be much appreciated. The Van is driving on highway. Mostly trying to sell cars passing by and maybe a car behind as well. Any experiences (good or bad) are welcome, or movie refs!!

Thanks for your time.

Chris

• Premium Member
I'm shooting a scene with a Van using the poorman's process.  Of course, our main concern is that the gag sell.  We're shooting HD (antiquated AJ-900 60P Cam).  Anyone with suggestions, and hopefully a diagram would be much appreciated.  The Van is driving on highway.  Mostly trying to sell cars passing by and maybe a car behind as well.  Any experiences (good or bad) are welcome, or movie refs!!

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Christopher

You want to have the Van inside a studio and make it look like it's in the highway?

Sorry my english are not so good, so I didn't get the poorman's process one as well the gag shell.

If I got it then, u should use moving heads, something like the mac 500 or similar, and maybe use 4 or six of them, some in an accurate program and some from behind, to do the cars passing by trick

Dimitrios

• Premium Member

It sort of died because it wasn't well-supported by editing systems or post facilities. "Tortilla Soup" and "Teddy Bear's Picnic" were shot with it. The people to talk to are over at Birns & Sawyer, since they used to rent the camera (maybe they still do.) Also DP Tony Salgado owns one; here's his website:

http://www.24-7dtv.com/ContactUs.html

You have to have lights that move, or spin. Start with the idea of an inkie that's at the end of a grip arm, on a grip stand. The arm is parallel to the ground, and one of the risers on the stand is loose. Attach a lot of power extensions to the light, and spin the arm around until you run out of cable. Dim the light down, unravel the cable, and start over.

J-Ro, Thanks for helping me with the mechanics. Now I have a great mental pic of what to do.

Mr. Mullen, thanks for the info. BTW, I wanted to correct myself. It's the AJ-D900WP. But it does do 60P. As far as the editing goes, I think we've found a deck to rent that can handle it.

Thanks for your expertice.