Backdrops, translights........

Miguel Bunster

Hi,

I am going out soon on production and have the following question. We may get a location that looks great inside but outside the windows doesn't work for the story. So it has been mentioned backdrops but afte looking into it using them on exterios with sun moving around doesn't look like an option at all. Any comments please?

Thanks!

I once had to hang a drop outside a window in Rome to make it look like New York. The entire area outside the window was tented to control the light. It was a big expencive solution but it worked. Not recomended for low budget. Another thing I have done is put white scrim over the windows on the outside. If the outside is not too bad this helps wash out the detail. Some have put white paper over the windows and just blow them out. Depending on the exterior a lot of set dressing, tree branches etc. can block an otherwise unacceptable view. One time I needed an extended sunrise outside a window. We rented a large rear projection screen and I made a composition of warm gelled lights and cards cut like mountains to cast shadows upon it. The effect was very convincing. We shot all night long until the sun actually came up and washed out the scene. Use your creativity sometimes its amazing what you will come up with in a pinch. Good luck.

• Premium Member
Some have put white paper over the windows and just blow them out. Depending on the exterior a lot of set dressing, tree branches etc. can block an otherwise unacceptable view.

I would go with this idea, even if it's suppose to be overcast outside.

Audience usually is fine with this.

I am using this a lot in commercials when the sun is going down, so we have to continue shooting over night.

The only problem is if the location is suitable fro rigging the lights outside the window to blow out the diffusion paper.Better use cheap tracing paper.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
We may get a location that looks great inside but outside the windows doesn't work for the story.

What is your exterior background supposed to look like for the story? Can you create some set dressing for outside the window such as potted trees to move around, or flats that look like walls?

These can be used in conjunction with window dressing to help obscure the view out the window (assuming that works for the story). Partially closed curtains or blinds can really break up the offending BG but still let you see some depth out there. Together with some overexposure outside you can really get away with a lot.