old cine-cameras

Guest Ronney Ross

Guest Ronney Ross

Hello I'm wondering if anyone has bought 2r 100' roll film from kodak and reload their own carts.

Also I have an old revere camera that seems to be working film as far as the spring seems to be working

fine. but not sure if this camera actually takes 2r film b/c inside the gate ( section that holds the 50' magazine) not the aperture theres only one crank. my digital cam not working so can't post a picture.

• Premium Member
Hello I'm wondering if anyone has bought 2r 100' roll film from kodak and reload their own carts.

Also I have an old revere camera that seems to be working film as far as the spring seems to be working

fine. but not sure if this camera actually takes 2r film b/c inside the gate ( section that holds the 50' magazine) not the aperture theres only one crank. my digital cam not working so can't post a picture.

I have been tempted. I bought a filmo mag camera to get a three inch lens finder for my 70DL.

There were a couple of KII mags with it, and since that can't be procesed anyway I opened one.

I also got a copy of the loading instuctions from an Bulk Film old Catalog. There is sproket in the magazine itself that is 2R, and the film goes over it twice!

I understand a fellow in Georgia has some outdated mags for sale..

http://www.athens.net/~macjava/filmpage.html and If I could get it processed easaly I might be tempted to try. I think the lab in toronto I use whould charge me for the full 100 ft, and for labour if I did not respool the film onto a camera spool or a core.

Guest Ronney Ross

yes charles,

Mac at Java photo does sell this film thats out of date but I dontunderstand how you can get that you can buy it from him cheaper on ebay than through his website

• Premium Member

Hello,

I guess you are talking for the 8mm revere camera?

Well they used 16mm double perforated that u expose twice but in different position of the negative area!

Then this is splitted to 2- 8mm films.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
yes charles,

Mac at Java photo does sell this film thats out of date but I dont understand how you can get that you can buy it from him cheaper on ebay than through his website

I found out the hard way, if you pay the e-bay price the shipping is diferent than if you buy from his web site. (I was buying 100 ft rolls) Final price is simalar from both methods. It is best to call him on the phone I have found.

• Premium Member

I could not quote the other one I wanted to reply to.

The 16mm mags are quite different from the "regular 8" mags, although both had the same idea, making it easier to take "home" movies.

Regular 8 is a format with film that is 16mm Wide, but with twice as many perfs. The film normaly came in 25 foot rolls, and was split down the middle after processing. FOMA still makes it, and Kodak sells it in Bulk. There was a KODAK mag for regular 8, which was pre-loaded, and is flipped over to shoot the other side.

I can't recall seeing a Regular 8 magazine in nearky 40 years, a friend's famaily had an regular 8 mag camera when I was a kid.

16mm Mags were50 ft long. of double perf 16mm film, and had a good part of the camera mechnism inside. The film went form core to core inside the mag, (wound emulsion out) which even had a dial to show how much film was left! Where you may see them is that many of the mag camera use the same finders and lenes as the more conventional FILMO style cameras, and so sometime a lens can be bought less expensivly by buying a complete magazine camera.

The 16mm Mag was also used in WWII gun cameras, which because they run on 24 volts, and are fairly rugged have been used as "Crash Cameras" being trigered remotely just before something messy happens. The metal magazine provides another layer of protection for the film in this case.

Kodak sold the business that loaded the mags to "Alan Gordon" Last time I was searching for info they still offered to sell loaded mags, with various Color neg films at about the price that a magazine Filmo Camera goes for on e-bay. with an extra deposit that is only refunded if the mags themselves are returned in a month or so from date of original shipment.

Both the 16mm and Regular 8 mags were marked to indicate that they actulay belonged to the film maker, and were "recovered" when the film was sent for processing.

Guest Ronney Ross

Hey Micheal,.

I will be receiving three mags of b/w film from a different source. Just wondering who did you get to develop your film for you?

tks.

Ronney Ross

Guest Michael Carter

Summit Film Lab here in Pittsburgh. It had to be put onto spools as they are unfamiliar with the cores. And there is a 200 foot minimum so I just shot the wad. There was the suggestion to shoot one roll as a test then shoot the rest of it. However, I may never shoot that film again, old Plus-x negative, so I shot all 5 of them. Any lab would do it, just let them know about it in advance.

• Premium Member
I can't recall seeing a Regular 8 magazine in nearky 40 years, a friend's famaily had an regular 8 mag camera when I was a kid.

He-he, I ve got one revere 8mm, a collector's item.With a spool 16mm negative.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
He-he, I ve got one revere 8mm, a collector's item.With a spool 16mm negative.

Dimitrios Koukas

Actually, I have revere, keystone, sankyo, and Eumig "spool" regular 8 cameras. Althoigh I have not found a chart to tell me what the "letters" on the C-3 Eumig's light meter corespond to in modern film speeds.

Spool film is still made by FOMA http://foma.cz and is sold in North america by http://jandcphoto.com/ The foks at "international film" http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/JohnSchwind.html also re-spool Kodak reveral B&W (as CINE-X 100 7265 ) and KMA kodachome for the spool cameras. They used to alos have have some VNF in that size.

This is film 16mm wide, that is slit to 8mm wide after processing

Guest Michael Carter

Yea, I have a lot of magazine 8mm cameras, three loaded magazines for them, focus finders, and lenses. Martin Baumgarten has/had a service of loading and processing them. I shot some, too.

My 16mm 50 foot magazine camera tests turned out great. All four cameras and all five magazines worked perfectly. One lens may be bad or I just was tired and didn't focus it properly but the film worked out very nicely. I wonder if there is anymore of it.......

• 4 months later...
Guest Michael Carter

Now I don't know if I bought the film from Chambles or from Java?! Some day I'll find the receipt. It DID, however, come from an e-bay auction. It was in a bulk of 5 mags at a time. Like I said, it processed beautifully into a timed work print. Those small cameras are a joy to use. A fellow in Texas made me a winder for the little cores.

Michael Carter