Film Speed Flicker

Simon Plunket

Hi All, 

I've tried to see if anyone has posted a similar question but haven't had much luck, apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere before. 

I'm looking to try and create the effect a film camera makes when getting to speed, or just after the camera is cut and you have these moments of flicker, like a memory that are overexposed and in fast motion. You can see a few examples in these two projects below. Generally these are used as editing transitions

For the Post Malone video timecodes around 0:56 and 1:09, and for the "In My Mind" timecode around 0:13. 

Would you know if there is a way to force these moments a little longer, are there some cameras that take longer to get to speed? Would hand cranking help to achieve the effect? 

Does anyone know of any digital examples where someone has been able to create a similar feeling? 

Thanks in advance! 

Simon 

• Premium Member

Both examples you show appear to have electronic simulations of the effects you are seeking.

"Shutter dragging" was pretty popular a couple of decades ago, when the DP would shoot on 16mm on (typically) a Bolex and ease off on the shutter release until the stopping mechanism was partially engaged (horrible rattling sound) which slowed the speed of the camera according to varying amounts of shutter release pressure.  It is certainly not good for the camera, but it was done.

The effect can be replicated on perfectly good exposed images with a good NLE using dynamic speed reduction curves, ramped exposures, key framing color shifts and so on, but it takes a lot of work and a good working knowledge of the NLE.