Harry Houdini film

Frank Wylie

• Premium Member

Just thought I'd share this; been timing silent motion pictures for 25 years and this is the first time I ever ran across a Harry Houdini film! Making a dupe neg from this original print that was distributed on "Bay State" film stock. I've seen lots of 16mm Bay State film stock, but this is the first time to see 35mm nitrate Bay State film.

Two rare things at once!

BTW: Should anyone have any additional information on Bay State Film, please get in contact with me. I am always looking for solid references to this manufacturer; it's a pet research project.

Houdini_small.jpg

Edited by Frank Wylie
added request for info
  • Like 4

Frank,

I previously written in the past about a 1920s 16mm industrial film print that is tinted for some unknown reason.

You suggested that it could be tinted to prevent unauthorized duplication.

Is that the case with this Houdini print?  Or was it tinted on purpose to enhance its box office appeal?

BTW, is this The Grim Game from 1919?

----Todd

• Premium Member

Todd,

The yellow/amber tints of the Kodascope Library made it harder to dupe with high quality, but didn't entirely prevent duplication and it probably was also a kind of trademark look for the library.  A former colleague (since passed) who worked labs for decades told me with judicious bleaching, the amber tint could be removed for a better copy.

No, the Houdini print is tinted and toned for artistic effect. 

Brian Prichard has a good website that briefly outlines tinting and toning in the Silent Era:  http://www.brianpritchard.com/Tinting.htm

Sorry but due to various restrictions, I can't release the title name but can confirm it is not "The Grim Game".

Edited by Frank Wylie
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, Frank Wylie said:

Just thought I'd share this; been timing silent motion pictures for 25 years and this is the first time I ever ran across a Harry Houdini film! Making a dupe neg from this original print that was distributed on "Bay State" film stock. I've seen lots of 16mm Bay State film stock, but this is the first time to see 35mm nitrate Bay State film.

Two rare things at once!

BTW: Should anyone have any additional information on Bay State Film, please get in contact with me. I am always looking for solid references to this manufacturer; it's a pet research project.

Houdini_small.jpg

Ummmm...that is nice! Is that the original film or your copy? Very pristine, looks new.

Do you do any scanning in your dept Frank or are you all film? If you do scans, what type of scanner do you operate?

What sort of material do you have on Bay State Film?

Looks like you can find out as much about them as can be found out about Cine Art aka Hollywood Film aka Hollywood Featurette...very little on Google. Do you know anything about Cine Art, Frank...that is my pet interest. Cine Art produced lots of shorts in the 20's - 40s. 

Cine Art film - NSFW

Tons of stuff on Houdini at eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.