16mm Workshops and learning opportunities

Gabrielle Mizak

Hi! I'm graduating high school this year, and I'm eager to learn as much as I can about shooting on 16 and 35mm because that is what I what to specialize in as a DP. Instead of studying film in university, I have decided to take the alternative route of technical skill based learning. Some of the information on these forums is outdated, so what are current running workshops, courses, artist residences, and programs that teach 16mm and analog cinematography? I have experience with teaching myself how to shoot 16mm on a Bolex through YouTube videos, but I would like better professional knowledge that goes more in depth than my online research ever could. I would like to know of any programs out there, whether they are academically or non-academically based. 

Edited by Gabrielle Mizak

• Premium Member

One learns by doing.

When it comes to Art, there is no other way.

As for the professional knowledge you seek, one simply has to ask the experts here! They know everything of the technical side of cinematography (both film and digital).

Best wishes and good luck.

Hi Gabrielle, I guess it depends where you live, and what your resources are so to speak, but I found where I was that usually I had to figure everything out by myself, and before long knew as much and often much more than the locals around me. Keep going that route and who knows you might end up some kind of expert, and people will start coming to you. That's not very helpful, but for the sake of at least other readers I guess it's worth saying. Nothing is better than a truly great teacher and mentor ... but, wow, they can be thin on the ground. If you stick at something long enough, through the good and the tough times, you might just eventually end up being that great teacher and mentor that you yourself always wanted to find and searched hard and long for.

That said, best of luck in finding a great teacher, mentor, school, or workshop, or all or some of these things, to help you along your way. There's nothing better and faster for getting to be where you want to be.

In the meantime, shoot film.

• 5 weeks later...