Camera in Killers of the Flower Moon

Dan Hasson

19 minutes ago, Frank Wylie said:

Bell and Howell 2709.  This one is setup for hand cranking, but they were able to be fitted with an auxiliary motor.   This camera was produced from 1909 to the late 1970's.

Thanks Frank! Do you know how much feet of film it takes?

This one looks in good shape for such an old camera. I wonder who keeps them serviced?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Dan Hasson said:

Thanks Frank! Do you know how much feet of film it takes?

This one looks in good shape for such an old camera. I wonder who keeps them serviced?

The camera has detachable magazines.  Most common sizes are 400 and 1000 feet, with some specialty magazines of 100, 200 and 2,000 feet (rare).

The camera you posted has been modified with a Mitchell-type rack-over base.

Any competent camera repair person can work on these.  I owned 2 of these beasties at one time, but no longer have them.

The shuttle movement in this camera is perhaps the most steady registering movement ever designed.

Sven Nykvist shot background processing plates for Ingmar Burgman's "Fanny and Alexander" (1982) with a 2709 hand cranked camera.  They are superb cameras, but a bit awkward to operate if compared to "modern" cameras.

Edited by Frank Wylie
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Frank Wylie said:

The camera has detachable magazines.  Most common sizes are 400 and 1000 feet, with some specialty magazines of 100, 200 and 2,000 feet (rare).

The camera you posted has been modified with a Mitchell-type rack-over base.

Any competent camera repair person can work on these.  I owned 2 of these beasties at one time, but no longer have them.

The shuttle movement in this camera is perhaps the most steady registering movement ever designed.

Sven Nykvist shot background processing plates for Ingmar Burgman's "Fanny and Alexander" (1982) with a 2709 hand cranked camera.  They are superb cameras, but a bit awkward to operate if compared to "modern" cameras.

Hi Frank,

Thanks so much for all this information! 

Interesting about the Fanny and Alexander background plates too. Thanks so much!

D