Night Exterior Lighting - Godrays of Moonlight through Haze

Hey everyone!

I am prepping a short film for school that includes a big night time exterior set in a park.

I have a general plan for getting the big light out back high and far enough, as well as what I require for the softer fill light near the camera. However, I have no idea how to get enough fog to allow the godrays to shine through. Reference photo of the type of setup we had in mind attached below...

image.thumb.jpeg.948eb4d0026c77569ff6cbe34cdef055.jpeg

I have done a horror film night exterior that used tubes of death, a fan, and a big DF-50, but this was mostly handled by the SFX artist.

For something like this that needs to cover a decent area for the godrays, can I get away with 1 or 2 Rosco Hazers OR Fog Machines scattered in the background? Link: https://us.rosco.com/en/product/vapour-fog-machine

Thank you.

Edited by Sam David Zhang
Incorrect terminology. Fog not haze.

• Premium Member

For a big space, you may need one or two IGEBA foggers, which are loud and outdoor only. Two just to get two people to spread out quickly as the wind shifts, at different distances. Or one IGEBA and a Tube of Death set-up as well (which needs a fog machine.) Or one IGEBA and one smaller hand fogger like a Mole Fogger.

I was the SFX assistant on a movie when I was in school and we had a night shoot that required fog rolling in.  I was handed one of those IGEBA units (which until now I could only ever remember being referred to as a "bazooka") and for each take my key would give me a zig zag, football-play type pattern to run based on how the wind was moving to get the fog to roll in waves rather than all at once.  It was exhausting but also some of the most fun I've had making movies.  I guess my point is, you might be able to do it with one guy if he's young and energetic and willing to run around all night like Rambo. 

Also worth pointing out that those things get dangerously hot at the end of the barrel and can cause serious burns or start fires. 

On 10/12/2023 at 7:22 PM, David Mullen ASC said:

For a big space, you may need one or two IGEBA foggers, which are loud and outdoor only. Two just to get two people to spread out quickly as the wind shifts, at different distances. Or one IGEBA and a Tube of Death set-up as well (which needs a fog machine.) Or one IGEBA and one smaller hand fogger like a Mole Fogger.

10 hours ago, Stewart McLain said:

I was the SFX assistant on a movie when I was in school and we had a night shoot that required fog rolling in.  I was handed one of those IGEBA units (which until now I could only ever remember being referred to as a "bazooka") and for each take my key would give me a zig zag, football-play type pattern to run based on how the wind was moving to get the fog to roll in waves rather than all at once.  It was exhausting but also some of the most fun I've had making movies.  I guess my point is, you might be able to do it with one guy if he's young and energetic and willing to run around all night like Rambo. 

Also worth pointing out that those things get dangerously hot at the end of the barrel and can cause serious burns or start fires. 

Thank you for the suggestion! I will look into a handheld option like IGEBA or the Mole Fogger to help cover areas the other two fog machines on the ground cannot.

Honestly, I've just never had to cover such an open area... so I am worried that on the day the fog won't hang on long enough for the wide shots.