Switching magasines back and forth with different type of film

Antoine Pret

Hi,

I'm preparing for a shot and was wondering if it was possible to have say 3 magasines of 400ft, each one loaded with different film speed and to change them when we need to, so that we can have a more flexible shot list ?

Is this possible with a Arri SR3 or AATON XTR PROD , and to keep trackĀ  of how much film left there is ? Or do I need to organize the shoot based on what type of film I have on the first magasine and so on ?

Thank you

You can change mags at any time. There are footage counters on the mags, but they're not very accurate and the camera assistant should be keeping a camera report for each one and updating it after every take with a running total of footage shot and remaining. You might tape the report to the mag to keep track of it.

I do know that the XTRPROD can identify different mags and show the footage remaining on each- this is helpful, but I would still keep a paper report as well. I see that the SR3 has a take and total exposed counter, but I don't think it can identify mags.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Thanks 1