Back Focus with pro 35 adapter

Rob Featherstone

I just got off a shoot where we used the sdx 900, pro 35 adapter and zeiss super speeds.

We had a product shot with some relatively fine text on the packaging.

The text never really looked completely sharp.

Has anyone had experience with setting back focus with the 35 adapter?

Or any isues with resolution and the 35 adapter.

I think next time I will try digi primes.

-Rob Featherstone

• Premium Member
I just got off a shoot where we used the sdx 900, pro 35 adapter and zeiss super speeds.

We had a product shot with some relatively fine text on the packaging.

The text never really looked completely sharp.

Has anyone had experience with setting back focus with the 35 adapter?

Or any isues with resolution and the 35 adapter.

I think next time I will try digi primes.

-Rob Featherstone

Hi,

What was the T stop on the Superspeeds? Wide open they are well fairly soft, they look much better by T2.8

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hey:

That's a good point! We were wide open.

-Rob

Hi,

When I first got my set I tested them at T2.5 and was very happy. A few weeks later I was shooting with 5217. I wish I had loaded 5218! I was suprised by how bad the lenses looked wide open!

Stephen

Hi,

When using the Pro 35 w/Super speeds I also stopped down a bit (when I had enough light), I think to a 2.0 or 2.8, I cant remember exactly. The back focus is a bit subjective, focusing on grains on the ground glass instead of a chart seems a bit hit-or-miss. I also remember that we had to keep adjusting the back focus as it slipped between set-ups. I did shoot some scenes wide-open and they were pretty sharp, I would guess that the back focus was probably slightly off when you shot the lettering, we shot lettering wide-open and it was definately quite sharp (taking into account we were wide open and the extra softness the ground glass adds).

Cheers.

Thanks for the input.

The image looked great there was just some softness to the text on the product.

We did rack through the back focus and taped out the lens. So I am thinking the the softness was due to the aperture on the prime (1.3) and the grain from the ground glass.

I do like the look you get from the adpater but I am interested if wide open digiprimes would give a similar effect.

Or I will shoot with the primes at a 2.0

-Rob

• Premium Member
Thanks for the input.

The image looked great there was just some softness to the text on the product.

We did rack through the back focus and taped out the lens. So I am thinking the the softness was due to the aperture on the prime (1.3) and the grain from the ground glass.

I do like the look you get from the adpater but I am interested if wide open digiprimes would give a similar effect.

Or I will shoot with the primes at a 2.0

-Rob

I have had that problem with the Superspeeds too, and last sunday I was surprised to see that on the Ultra primes as well when opened to a 1.9, although it wasn't as bad. The digiprimes were designed to be used wide open so they do not have that problem. The digiprimes are about a 1.6 wide open with the exception of the 3.9mm and 5mm lenses. The Master Primes also do not have this problem.