Concurrent photon amplification - does anyone make a cinema camera with this mechanism?

Some years ago I came across an old technique called 'concurrent photon amplification'. It was, I think, only used in photographic cameras, such as a Leica M4. There was one such camera on eBay a few years ago.

Recently I got to thinking about it again. I was reminded of it because of recent news that Kodak ditched their plans to make a 1000T stock. This 1000T stock was apparently no better than 500T pushed. So, I thought: wait a minute, maybe CPA can do a better job here.

This thesis is worth a glance. Sadly, I do not understand the equations, although this isn't expected of photographers.

viewcontent.cgi?article=5224&context=the

FILM SPEED
Because fewer photons are needed during the imaging exposure, there is an apparent film speed increase. Speed increases of six stops have been reported using Tri-X Pan emulsion. This represents a very significant enhancement but begs the question: What effect does CPA have on image quality? One answer is obvious, if there is an image where there was none before, there is an improvement in image quality.

CONCLUSIONS
In summary three distinct conclusions can be drawn from this study which represent the assertion of the initial hypothesis. There are:

1. There is a low exposure domain in which only CPA can give an image. The size of that domain is a function of the means of measure. For a quantitative measure, the size is modest, only one stop in this study. However if a subjective measure is employed, that CPA domain of preference could be larger, as much as six stops.

2. There is a domain where both CPA and normal exposure will produce an image and in this domain, CPA will give a better image than normal exposure. The benefit of CPA diminishes towards the high end of this transition domain.

3. Above the transition domain, normal exposure will yield a better image than the CPA treated image.

So, subjectively, according to the conclusion, 5219 (500T) stock could have the sensitivity value of up to ASA 32,000. (Whereas a 400 speed photo film, such as HP5+, could be rated at up to 25,600). This sounds too good to be true. However, I will point out two things: firstly, I have not tested CPA; and secondly, the fact that digital cameras can function at ISO 32,000 is also "too good to be true."

Also worth exploring are potentially different effects on both colour and b&w stocks.

At worst, and in theory, 5219 gains one stop without pushing, and without any penalty. And 5203 (50D) can now be rated at ASA 100, which is no bad thing.

• Premium Member

It's just another form of flashing or latensification. And yes, there are on-camera flashing devices (Panaflasher, ARRI Varicon, etc.) The claims of increased sensitivity have always been a bit exaggerated.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 7.34.07 AM.png

15 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

It's just another form of flashing or latensification. And yes, there are on-camera flashing devices (Panaflasher, ARRI Varicon, etc.) The claims of increased sensitivity have always been a bit exaggerated.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 7.34.07 AM.png

Those aren't the same thing. The Varicon is placed in front of the lens. It has its uses, and I understand those quite well. But it's not the same thing at all.