upside down jib

• Premium Member

Sure if you had a sturdy steel ceiling beam that can take that much weight and the beam had enough ceiling space above it, and there was a post coming down from the beam, to allow the weight bucket to move higher than the fulcrum point and swing around. An experienced grip team would have to rig it, with safety cables, especially since that's a lot of weight to suspend in midair. 

Posted (edited)

Hey David, I've done something like that before (was indeed a set up), but if I understand what you're describing it's just a way to have the jib hang from the ceiling.  I'm looking to have the jib actually be upside down, but my understanding is most (all?) jibs have to sit on their base and not hang from it.

Edited by Danny Robashkin

What is the shot your trying to achieve?

I can't image a need for overhead mounting of a jib unless you are trying to do a 360 degree move around a space while the camera is booming up/down. And even then, probably better ways. It would have to all be motorized too which makes it incredibly complex.

I'd work with experienced grips or jib ops to work out what you need for your shot.

Edited by Albion Hockney

You described it exactly. As mentioned, the only thing we were able to do was mount the jib right side up in the middle, which gave us a 300 degree shot, not 360. If we could hang it upside down we could do 360.

• Premium Member

I can't remember the name of it but there's a rafter-mounted jib system that's sometimes used in live sports in indoor arenas that's basically an upside down jib (that is also mounted on a track).  Sorry this isn't the most helpful lead, if the name comes back to me I'll update!