Memories of the first photo you took

Patrick Cooper

I wonder how many of you can remember the very first photo you took and any details about it like the subject, equipment and time period etc? For me, the first photo I took was on Kangaroo Island in South Australia in the 1980s. I was a teenager at the time. My family was at Seal Bay and in those days, it was free entry to this beach and no guided tours. My mother handed me a very simple film camera. I can't recall many details about it. It was probably some instamatic point and shoot camera. I used it to take a photo of one of the sealions on the beach. So my first photo was a wildlife image. Unfortunately, my finger intruded into the photo a little bit. I learned to avoid that mistake in future picture taking. 

Nope, nothing. I used to be the family photog. Maybe starting at 8 or 9, taking photos at Christmas and holidays. That is what eventually got me interested in photography. We had flashbulbs then flashcubes on the old brownie back then. When I was maybe 14 a friend sold me a beat up (probably) stolen Minox spy camera for $12. I took some photos with it and was shocked to find out how $ it was to develop and print. So, I got into photo developing to try and save money. Then I moved up to a 35mm Kodak Retina I bought in a pawn shop. Over the years from various moves and storage lockers a lot of the early photos were lost. But if I find some, I will send a few in. 

Here is an early one I shot when I was 17 and just getting into photography more seriously. 

72-img206-print-v5-5-5-0-mr.jpg

Los Angeles Diner 1971

Photo by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1