Nikon to Acquire US Cinema Camera Manufacturer RED

1 hour ago, Keith Walters said:

It could simply be that the market is now close to saturated, and it's getting harder and harder to come up with new models that are a big enough improvement over what people have already.

I've been thinking that this has got to occur sometime soon in the digital cinema camera market. Just how much better can these cameras get? After the Arri Alexa 35 and so on ... they can maybe increase the definition a bit more but, really, to what point? Why bother? People spend a lot of money in post making the footage from these cameras have more of a film look because the digital imagery produced by them is too perfect. A bit of imperfection is the way to go, and now has to be added back in, after shooting.

The funny thing about the digital revolution is that an unexpected or unintended side effect has occurred as the technology has improved. Film scanning has improved to the point where shooting on film makes more and more sense because you automatically get a great looking image without having to fiddle around with it in post. You don't need to do anything to it to make it look great and filmic. Shooting on film gets rid of the electronic look that a lot of digitally shot footage inherently has. For big budget movies film is affordable too. Shooting on film gives feature movies an inherent interest because film is the traditional medium for narrative movies.

I've seen people scoff at the suggestion but I feel that really Australia needs to get back to film cinematography for at least some of our feature production shot in this country. That is if we truly want to be competitive. A fully digital infrastructure is still second rate on the world stage. That hasn't changed.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

• 4 weeks later...

Nikon Completes Acquisition of US Cinema Camera Manufacturer RED.com, LLC

April 12, 2024

Nikon Corporation (Nikon) hereby announces that as of April 8th, it has successfully acquired 100% of the outstanding membership interests of RED.com, LLC (RED), which offers revolutionary digital cinema cameras and award-winning technologies.

Upon RED becoming a wholly owned subsidiary, RED's President Jarred Land became a close Advisor to the company, along with RED's founder James Jannard. Keiji Oishi, of Nikon's Imaging Business Unit, assumed the role of CEO and Tommy Rios, Executive Vice President of RED, moved into the role of Co-CEO.

"Welcoming RED, a company that has been at the forefront of innovative technology, to the Nikon family is sure to expand the possibilities of imaging expression, and further delight the market with its innovation," comments Hiroyuki Ikegami, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Nikon's Imaging Business Unit. "Combining the best of both companies and working together to develop new, distinctive products, is our goal and for the brand to remain the choice for fans of Nikon and RED, and possibly reach out to an even wider audience."

"I believe it is my mission as the representative of RED to develop the market in a way that will pay respect to the corporate cultures of RED and Nikon," says RED CEO Keiji Oishi. "You can look forward to RED's future product development which will aim to meet and exceed the expectations of cinematographers around the world."

"We are the pioneer in digital cinematography, and the synergy with Nikon will only help us to continue to evolve," says RED Co-CEO Tommy Rios. "We'll continue to deliver cutting-edge technology that no one has ever seen before. We remain committed to working together with the RED dealers around the world."

Newly appointed RED Advisor James Jannard comments, "It is a proud moment for me to see RED, a brand that I have nurtured with passion for over 20 years, gain the opportunity to achieve new heights with the help of Nikon, a company that I also love."

RED Advisor Jarred Land shared his excitement, stating, "By joining the Nikon family, a company that is known for the advanced technology that it has been cultivated over many years, I am confident that RED will bring a new era to the professional digital cinema camera market. It is an honor to be a part of this new chapter."

There will be no changes to RED's current product lineup, partners, and relationship with the dealers. RED will continue to support its policies with warranties, repair services, customer services, and overall product support.

Nikon and RED will merge the strengths of both companies to develop distinctive products, while leveraging the business foundations and networks of both companies to expand the fast-growing professional digital cinema camera market.

Nikon's press release

Less than a week later... in just four days, Chief Design Officer for almost 2 decades has resigned:

«Over the past 18 years, I have had the privilege of being immersed in one of the most groundbreaking underdog tech-success stories of all time. Against all odds, a small, tactical group of like-minded individuals transformed into a focused army targeted at revolutionizing the cinematography and photography industries. We watched from the inside as RED DIGITAL CINEMA emerged from the vapor, and forged itself into an industry titan. I would like to thank Jim Jannard and Jarred Land for a life-defining opportunity and embodying the essence of true product and brand design pioneers. Constantly walking on the edge of accepted reality and questioning the fabric of the universe was the minimum price of entry. Huge congratulations go to NIKON for acquiring the best camera company in existence. I have decided to resign from the post of Chief Design Officer and confidently pass the torch on to the next generation of disruptors to evolve, grow, and metamorphose within NIKON. Thank you to everyone who has embraced and supported our unorthodox methodologies, and mechanical sculpture that defines the design language of RED’s light-devouring beasts.»

~ Matthew Tremblay -- Chief Design Officer: RED Digital Cinema (2006-2024)

image.png

source:

MT LinkedIn profile's post

Edited by Emanuel A Guedes