1:8 Shaft With Sheared Off Pin...

Don H Marks

I'm currently repairing a Bolex H8 non-Rex with sheared off pin on the 1:8 shaft. Not sure how a prior owner did it but the shaft was smooth all the way around, at first I could not even tell where the pin was. Only with 25x loupe could I make out where I could press to get the pin remnant out. 

Anyway,  the original washers were long gone, but I had some metric washers that appear to be the correct size. A washer on top, a wavy washer and a washer on the bottom from what appears in the 1961 service manual.

Problem is, after re-assembly  with the new pin, there is no friction between the shaft and the knob to rotate the counter. I wonder if I'm missing something or just need a stiffer wavy washer. It is not clear to me what causes the friction between the rotating shaft and the knob to turn to knob to advance the frame counter. 

It is not clear to me what causes the friction between the rotating shaft and the knob to turn to knob to advance the frame counter. 

Error above, should read..."It is not clear to me what causes the friction between the rotating shaft and the knob so that the knob will advance the frame counter."

• Premium Member

Yes, the wave spring washer sandwiched between flat washers, should exert some pressure to create friction. Make sure to grease the assembly.
Bolex had a special tool to press down on the washer while pushing in or out the pin. 

• Premium Member

The original pins were made by Spirol. A couple years ago I inquired with Spirol about manufacture of these. The answer was minimum order 200,000.