Jobo 3016 Drum: B&W Reversal Processing

I have a state of the art full featured still photography darkroom. I currently send all my cine film out for processing and splitting. 

I wondered why I should not process the film myself. I wonder if anyone else is using the Jobo drum for cine film. Seems simple enough, but I'm not sure how I'd dry the film or split the film. 

Darkroom.thumb.jpg.bd87accb7373d01a0168630880a80e56.jpg

Jobo16mmdrum.thumb.jpg.150d63329f90f6a4ddcd6ae378bd97ae.jpg

• Premium Member

Build a drying wheel.  Easiest way is to take to large diameter bicycle rims and bolt marine grade urethane-finished hardwood slats (or 1/2 inch PVC pipe) between the rims. (Think paddle wheel steamer, but with the flat faces toward the rim)  Punch a hole in the head of the film, attach it to a slat and wind the film emulsion out around the slatted drum in a spiraling fashion while applying a bit of diluted photoflo to the film with a chamois or soft cloth.

When you reach the end, punch another hole and place rubber bands through the hole and clamp them to a slat that provides some tension, but not  high tension.  Give the wheel a good spin to fling off the water/photoflo and let it dry.

Bonus points if you use a rear rim on one side and chain drive a slow ac motor to allow it to rotate slowly as it dries.

Congratulations; you're in the Silent Era.

As for slitters, many are available on Ebay; they were part of the Lomo tank kit for 35/16 development.

• Upvote 1