Coppola's Megalopolis : First Look

• Premium Member

Mailer, An American Dream

Then the message came clear. “Walk the parapet,” it said. I did not want to walk that parapet. “Walk it,” said the voice, “or you are worse than dead.”

. . . I would have to raise my foot uncomfortably high, bring my knee up almost to my shoulder, and then clinging with my right hand to the groove in the mortar of the wall of the building I would have to take a quick vertical step just as if I were springing into a high stirrup, and if I came up too hard, I might go over.

My fingers scraped on the wall, one nail broke and came half off, and I was up, up on that parapet one foot wide, and almost broke in both directions, for a desire to dive right on over swayed me out over the drop . . .

Surely Coppola was paying a little homage to the Coen Brothers "Hudsucker Proxy," in that clip.

I really hope this film gets some good big-screen distribution soon, ideally a real IMAX or 75mm release, but at least a theatrical release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

6f7673ff1c20acf9df3205ed4deaf395.jpg

Apocalypse now. Monolithic doorway. Smoky 1979 Storaro doorway. Ladder of books. Mirror by the pure-white bed. Fairy-tale princess in bare feet, radiating light. Is he too late? Kandinsky—a complexity of vectors and transitions and scales. German expressionist eye. (Warm yellow light, cool grey : the naked woman very strongly recalling to Scrooby EWS—cannot be helped). A man seeing himself. We seeing him, and all else. A memory.

A memory of the pastoral. Of the princess offering passage through a doorway, a special doorway, the smoky 1979 Storaro doorway.

The princess as Muse. If the Muse dies?

—If society lets the Muse die?