Sunny16 Question

Hi everyone, I would like to make another post here about another rather beginner type of question.

I remember once David wrote in a post, in direct sun he metered F16.3 with a ISO50(at 24fps and a 180 degree shutter). I understand it's because it's 1/50 shutter speed and ISO 50, which is what the rule says.

I know F/16.3 with ISO 50 would be great to start off in my mind without a light meter under that specific environment. But I wonder if this would work effectively in Log, RAW or even 709 shooting, or does it not matter what mode/color profile the camera is shooting?

I'm only asking in the context of modern digital cinematography. You can answer my question while assuming I know other concepts and terms in the context. Thanks a lot guys in advance!!!

Sunny-16-sticker1.jpg

• Premium Member

It's all just math. Since most digital doesn't go down to 50iso you'd just have to math it to whatever you're iso is. 

For example, an. Alexa at 400 iso would be a 3 stop difference. So you could throw an ND.9 in and be at f16 or shoot at a t32 (which I haven't ever seen on a cine lens). This is of course assuming you are keeping your shutter speed at 1/50th.

Of course with most digital cameras you have a monitor and false colors. 

On 5/20/2024 at 6:30 PM, Adrian Sierkowski said:

It's all just math. Since most digital doesn't go down to 50iso you'd just have to math it to whatever you're iso is. 

For example, an. Alexa at 400 iso would be a 3 stop difference. So you could throw an ND.9 in and be at f16 or shoot at a t32 (which I haven't ever seen on a cine lens). This is of course assuming you are keeping your shutter speed at 1/50th.

Of course with most digital cameras you have a monitor and false colors. 

Hi Adrian thank you for your response again!

Yes I do understand everything you said, and I can do the calculations fairly well, and I do understand how many stops is 1 stop in Iris, Shutter, EI, ND, etc.

But my question is does Sunny16 apply to all Log-shooting or RAW or just Rec 709 shooting? Or does it NOT matter what mode/color profile the camera is shooting? For example some consumer cinema cameras like the Sony FS series and the Panasonic EVA1 are able to shoot both What-U-See-Is-What-U-Get mode(709 mode) and Log, it can't be true that same T16/EI50 or T16/EI400/ND0.9 (at 24fps and a 180 degree shutter) works right at both situations.

Excuse my long question and my stupidity! Would really appreciate it if you could explain the answer.

• Premium Member

It wouldn't matter really. The log isn't broadcast it's just extra room to correct to 709 or 2020 in post. It's no different than going from neg to print stock which also will loose some information. 

The 16 rule is just to get you an acceptable final viewing image. It doesn't matter if your log or rec, that will only effect how much information you are recording in you highlights and shadows, but my middle grey, which is what the rule and even a light meter is exposing for, will still be middle grey. 

On 5/27/2024 at 10:30 AM, Adrian Sierkowski said:

It wouldn't matter really. The log isn't broadcast it's just extra room to correct to 709 or 2020 in post. It's no different than going from neg to print stock which also will loose some information. 

The 16 rule is just to get you an acceptable final viewing image. It doesn't matter if your log or rec, that will only effect how much information you are recording in you highlights and shadows, but my middle grey, which is what the rule and even a light meter is exposing for, will still be middle grey. 

Hi Adrian Thank you again for your awesome explanation. This is actually what I thought before posting. Now I understand 100%, so glad you helped me here!