Pre-lighting - Any suggestions?

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I know this is everyone's bread and butter but I've never done a couch scene and certainly not in such a contained space. I'm trying to do back cross keys but I wanted a suggestion for motivation. On the right, I put a floor lamp with a b7c set the color temperature to 2850, and placed a 300x on a c-stand hanging just out of the frame to act as a nice backlight as well as a key light for the other person. On the left, I put a table lamp with another b7c (yes it is sticking out but it's all temporary) and a 150d on a c-stand (I didn't have a gel when testing so I just kept it daylight and set the b7c to 5600k). Now, I'm pleased with the lighting on the right single. I feel like the cooler key looks good in contrast with the warm hair light motivated by the floor lamp. On the left single, the table lamp isn't motivating the light that much which makes me want to move the light more towards the back and the warm keylight motivated by the practical floor lamp doesn't look as good in my opinion. Maybe I should put a colder light on the book shelf on the right to act as a key for the actor on the left? I have a t2c coming from the camera side acting as a tv/fill light. What do you suggest doing to make both keys look more like the single of the actor to the right? Or even better, something doesn't convince me about the left single, what do you think it is? Thank you all in advance!

https://imgur.com/a/SbNmlYt

Edited by Nicolas U Hepburn

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The lighting comes from the same place as the music.  It doesn't have to BE motivated to feel motivated.  You're likely overthinking.

However, if you're not happy, we're not happy.  So looking at your pictures, with the single on the camera left, the source is too high. Its lighting the top of his head.  Great if you want a top light, but I think if you lower it down, and maybe even reduce the output, you'll have a better feel for what you are trying to achieve.

• Premium Member

Seems fine for a wide master if you don't want just flat softlight overhead. In the singles I would have lowered and softened the light to feel more like they were coming from table lamps.  Also a face doesn't always have to be at full exposure if the source isn't that close to them.