www.super8camera-shop.com

Guest Alexander Anthony

Guest Alexander Anthony

I'm looking to buy a camera from Uhmeyer at Super 8 Camera shop in Germany. I've emailed him back and forth and he seems spot on. Can anybody attest to the quality of the cameras on his site?

Thanks.

For reference, I'm looking into the Beaulieu 4008 ZM4 kit listed here.

I'm looking to buy a camera from Uhmeyer at Super 8 Camera shop in Germany. I've emailed him back and forth and he seems spot on. Can anybody attest to the quality of the cameras on his site?

Thanks.

For reference, I'm looking into the Beaulieu 4008 ZM4 kit listed here.

I will look for a thread i think was posted at filmshooting about this site..

Edited by chaching

You'll find a few threads there, some reassuring, some not. The longest concerns the purchase of a £200 Canon 814XLS advertised as near mint which turned out to have a scratch on the lens and sand inside the focus ring. Camera was eventually accepted back by the dealer (after first denying any problem) for a refund/credit but was then immediately relisted on the site without any change to the description of its condition. It was pointed out that as this is a business in Germany, that country's stringent consumer protection laws work in favour of the buyer, so in theory, if you discover any problem with a camera from them you can post it straight back and get a full refund. The general conclusion was that you shouldn't make too many assumptions of quality control from this guy, and that caveat emptor still applies. Sadly. For Nizo, Merzbarn were recommended. Good luck.

Rab

You'll find a few threads there, some reassuring, some not. The longest concerns the purchase of a £200 Canon 814XLS advertised as near mint which turned out to have a scratch on the lens and sand inside the focus ring. Camera was eventually accepted back by the dealer (after first denying any problem) for a refund/credit but was then immediately relisted on the site without any change to the description of its condition. It was pointed out that as this is a business in Germany, that country's stringent consumer protection laws work in favour of the buyer, so in theory, if you discover any problem with a camera from them you can post it straight back and get a full refund. The general conclusion was that you shouldn't make too many assumptions of quality control from this guy, and that caveat emptor still applies. Sadly. For Nizo, Merzbarn were recommended. Good luck.

Rab

yep, its the 814xls thread that I was think about. that one turned into a sour experience for the buyer. However, i have read ok stuff as well. best thing is to specifically ask about lens scratches, scuffs etc. perhaps request some more pics and ask about return policy including shipping if it turns out to be totally un-acceptable...

I couldn't find the thread as that search engine is still an enigma to me sometimes?? :rolleyes:

I bought an 814xls from them once too, I paid too much with the Euro at the time. as for the camera, I sometimes get exposure fluttering on autoexpose.. so I just keep my exposures locked, otherwise its been running solid for almost 2 years. somewhat of a monotone experience I guess, have had worse.

• Premium Member
I bought an 814xls from them once too, I paid too much with the Euro at the time. as for the camera, I sometimes get exposure fluttering on autoexpose.. so I just keep my exposures locked, otherwise its been running solid for almost 2 years. somewhat of a monotone experience I guess, have had worse.

Do you concur with Santo's view that the 814XLS is vastly overrated and is soft from f4.0 and under?

Do you concur with Santo's view that the 814XLS is vastly overrated and is soft from f4.0 and under?

I don't concur with your view of my rating of the camera in question. :lol:

It is a terrific home movie camera and an excellent beginner camera for entry into shooting film. I've recommended it on here. The fact is, Alex, all home movie cameras with ridiculously fast great big zooms from the 1970's go soft unless you stop them down. Today we've got multiple aspheric surfaces and a lot of other tech not possible in zooms of that era, and even the average consumer zoom is excellent. Users of 1970's home movie camera f1.4 megazooms just have to be realistic about what they're shooting with and they'll end up getting good enough images as long as they work within the limitations.

• Premium Member
I don't concur with your view of my rating of the camera in question. :lol:

It is a terrific home movie camera and an excellent beginner camera for entry into shooting film. I've recommended it on here. The fact is, Alex, all home movie cameras with ridiculously fast great big zooms from the 1970's go soft unless you stop them down. Today we've got multiple aspheric surfaces and a lot of other tech not possible in zooms of that era, and even the average consumer zoom is excellent. Users of 1970's home movie camera f1.4 megazooms just have to be realistic about what they're shooting with and they'll end up getting good enough images as long as they work within the limitations.

Are you saying a camera made around 1979-1980 will have an identical quality of lens as one made around 1970?

Are you saying a camera made around 1979-1980 will have an identical quality of lens as one made around 1970?

Here's some interesting material for you to read:

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/coatings.html

What zoom lenses for S8 cameras "today" have multiple aspheric surfaces ?

All the lenses for S8 I've seen discussed on these threads are old designs.

-Sam

If you've read the thread above, you'll see it ranges all the way from lenses from the 1960's to the latest lenses available over the range of most formats. You've taken it out of context, but it was a general observation about the vast difference in image quality available with consumer zooms of the 1970's (all but a couple of super 8 zooms), and consumer zooms available today for photography.