HD & 16:9

Latifian

• Premium Member

16x9 is the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height), which is standard for HD (standard def video like NTSC or PAL can be 4x3 or 16x9 "anamorphic").

16x9 is the same ratio as 1.78 : 1.

4x3 is the same ratio as 1.33 : 1.

HD recordings have a number of standards; they basically come down to 720P, 1080i, and 1080P. "720" means 1280 x 720 pixels per frame, or 720 lines. "1080" means 1920 x 1080 pixels per frame, or 1080 lines.

"P" means progressive-scan; "i" means interlaced-scan.

There are various frame or field rates for these formats, and formats can be converted to other HD formats. For example, 60P/720 converts well into 60i/1080.

Some video cameras have 1080 dif ability but them CCD are maked with 4:3 ratio (so this can to have 16:9 only in 720 dif mode).Either i saw in other some;the CCD is designed with 16:9 a/r ability when this is a SD system.

Is the last one member of HD for 16:9 a/r and the first no member because 4:3 a/r?

latifian :)

My question is about relation between HD & 16:9.

Is any camera with 16:9 aspect ratio ability named HD?

or

Is any camera with 4:3 aspect ratio named sd?(when even its ccd have 1080 line resolution)

latifian

• Premium Member

All HD cameras are 16x9.

SD cameras can be either 4x3 or 16x9 "anamorphic" (i.e. the shape of the pixels are skinnier to fit 16x9 into the same pixel dimensions as 4x3.)

You also have to distinguish between the number of pixels in the CCD versus the pixels of the recording format. In SD cameras, there are wide range of pixel counts in the CCD's used, but the recording is either NTSC (720 x 480 pixels) or PAL (720 x 560 pixels.)

Edited by David Mullen

• Premium Member
Then the sony HDR-FX1 is not a HD camera.Because its CCD has 4:3 A/R in basis(1440x1080).

What is your view?

latifian

Hi,

Are you sure the CCD is native 4:3?

I was not aware of any HD or HDV cameras that does not have a native 16:9 chip.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Then the sony HDR-FX1 is not a HD camera.Because its CCD has 4:3 A/R in basis(1440x1080).

What is your view?

To the best of my knowledge, all of Sony's 1/3" HDV cams have native 16:9 images sensors. The pixels are not square, they're rectangular.

I believe the sensors are actually 960 x 1080 pixels and use pixel offset to achieve 1440 x 1080 resolution, and they record in HDV's 1440 x 1080 tape format.

[This post corrected per David M.'s post below.]

All HDV camcorders are "real" HD cameras, but not the best or most expensive HD cameras.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member

Using 1440 x 1080 CCD's (or whatever) with non-square pixels is not unusual with some HDV cameras, but the recording is always 16x9 when displayed. The HD CCD is 16x9 in shape either way because the image projected onto it is spherical and the final displayed image is 16x9.

Even the Sony HDW-F900, which I believe has 1920 x 1080 pixel CCD's, records to the HDCAM tape format, which is 1440 x 1080 non-square pixels technically, but when displayed with standard square-pixels, it becomes 16x9.

The other thing to remember is that anything higher than standard def is high def more or less, and a 1080 line image is definitely not standard definition video.

Anyway, all HD is 16x9, even the consumer HDV.

Edited by David Mullen

• Premium Member

Thanks, David, for the correction concerning the 1440 x 1080 pixels recorded to tape. HDV and HDCAM are the same in this regard ... unless someone knows otherwise?

Have a great Thanksgiving Day holiday!

- Peter DeCrescenzo