Arri oil

Nguyen D. Nguyen

• Premium Member
I've looked everywhere and called various places, but no one can give me a straight answer. Does anyone knows the difference between the Arri oil light and the Arri oil heavy? Does it make a difference which on you use to lubricate an arri iic camera?

I imagine they are similar to Shell Tona Oil for the heavy oil and Anderol 401D for the light oil. I had a tube of Arri grease around here somewhere... it's probably gone.

• 2 weeks later...
I imagine they are similar to Shell Tona Oil for the heavy oil and Anderol 401D for the light oil. I had a tube of Arri grease around here somewhere... it's probably gone.

I was told that the correct oil for the Arri is called "Chronosynth 1-8" and that the correct grease is "Isoflex LDS 18"

Any verification of this would be greatly appreciated!

Henry.

I don't know for sure if it's the same for a 2C as it is for an "S" but I have the oil and grease for that.

(grease for the mags).

Neither has any numbers; the oil I bought from CSC in NY. The grease I got directly from Arri. It just says ARRI "Arriflex Special Grease" (Spezialfett) on the tube. The oil is in an unmarked bottle :)

Anyway CSC (owned by Arri) should have this stuff and / or know what's what I'd think.

-Sam

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
Do this various places include ARRI? If not, write them an e-mail or call them. Usually they are very helpful.

When it comes to lubrication, if the Arriflex IIC is similar to the Arriflex 16S, then it takes ARRI grease (ARRI part #K5.50574.0) and ARRI "heavy" oil, which is called Chronosynth 1/8 (#K4.50577.0). The last time I ordered that oil from ARRI, I was sent Constant GLY 2100. And I just found out that I was sent the wrong stuff. Constant GLY 2100 is not the replacement for Chronosynth 1/8. ARRI does still have some Chronosynth, you just need to do a little digging to find it. Best to talk with your ARRI sales rep.

The only thing the ARRI "light" oil is used on in the Arriflex 16S is the saphire cam follower roller on the registration pin and the cam follower roller on the pull down claw. To the best of my knowledge, the ARRI "light" oil is called PDB 38 (#K4.50576.0).

Hope that helps,

-Tim Carroll