MiniDV shooting 24fps

Ernie Zahn

Are there any MiniDV cameras that aren't abosolutely pro that shoot in 24fps or 24p as it seems to be called in the digital community. I'm getting a new DV camera and I don't want a $9,000 camea but I do want something that'll shoot at that frame rate. It can still be a consumer camera, I just wanna get rid of that home movie look without having to pay $9,000. Thoughts or input

• Premium Member

Hi,

You can buy an XL2 or a DVX-100 for much less than $9000; both will give you 24p (or 25p in PAL places) but personally I'd go with the XL2, because it's as near to true widescreen as you're likely to find for the money.

However, be aware that having a camera that will shoot 24p is not a magic panacea that will cure the home video look. Doing that requires learning how to light, and that's much more difficult.

Phil

Thank you, and yes I understand there's more to it. But the frame rate is part of it and my current MiniDV camera, aside from the fact it's shot, won't give me any options as far as frame rate goes. I've been shooting in Super 8 for quite some time and video is becoming to seem like a-whole-nother animal. I have my lighting etc down, this frame rate looks ugly is all. Thanks for your help.