25mm Arri Standard Mount Lenses

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

I'm going to be shooting a personal project this spring with an Arriflex 16S and a 25mm prime lens. The camera is being rebuilt and I am trying to decide on the lens. It needs to be an Arri Standard Mount and I would like it to have the best quality glass possible. Three lenses I have found so far are pictured below. Does anyone have any experience with any of these lenses and have an opinion as to the lens sharpness and contrast? I am not as concerned about color because I think the project will be done in black and white but if you have a strong opinion on how they render color, I would like to hear that as well. And if someone knows of other Arri Standard Mount lenses in 25mm, I would like to hear about them also. I would like to keep the f or T number at 2.0 or below.

The first lens I have found is the Schneider 25mm Cine-Xenon f 1.4.

SchCinXen.jpg

The second lens I have found is the Cooke Speed Panchro 25mm f2.0, T2.2.

CookeSpanc.jpg

The third lens I have found is the Rodenstock 25mm T1.5.

roden.jpg

Thanks folks,

-Tim Carroll

Edited by TimCarroll

• Premium Member
The second lens I have found is the Cooke Speed Panchro 25mm f2.0, T2.2.

CookeSpanc.jpg

I've used this series before and was very happy with the results. The color rendition seemed fairly neutral, perhaps slightly on the cool side. Sharpness was excellent.

Hi, have used a cooke kinetal 25mm T2 and schnieder 25mm f1.4 on my late arri-m. I found the schneider to be sharper than the cooke. The cooke glass was warmer, tended to use the cooke on dull days. I found ( shooting on reversal) you cannot intercut material shot on the same day with both lenses as the colour balance was very noticable. My recommendation is the schneider glass.